Convert powershell script to standalone exe

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 3 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
gil_kr

Convert powershell script to standalone exe

Post by gil_kr »

I need to convert my powershell script to exe and make sure it will run on any computer without requiring any external libraries or dependencies to be installed.
I know about PS2EXE and I know that it's actually crates a wrapper for all PS1 files.It's OK for me,but I can’t use PS2EXE as it doesn’t support Powershell above version 4.0 and not certified to work with Windows Server 2016 or Windows 10.
Another option is using Powershell Studio, but the questions are:
  • Will its output exe file require any external libraries to be executed? (To suit me the exe should contain the lightweight encapsulated Powershell and any other libraries which it requires to run independently, like PS2EXE result does)
  • Can it work on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Convert powershell script to standalone exe

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Our packaged executables work generally on Windows 10 and Server 2016. They use the Windows PowerShell version (5.1) installed by default on these machines.

I am not certain what you mean by "contain the lightweight encapsulated Powershell". There is only Windows PowerShell and PowerShell 7, both of which require installation.
Windows PowerShell is installed by default on the OS versions you mention.
PS2EXE packaged executables do not contain any Powershell bits as far as I know. It merely wraps your script and then extracts and executes that script on the target machine.
So I am not certain what you mean by 'run independently'.

Our package executables execute your script in memory, using their own PowerShell host (exceptions as noted in the packager UI). But that does not mean it 'contains' Windows PowerShell.

"...run on any computer without requiring any external libraries or dependencies to be installed." That is too wide a net. Surely you do not include Windows 95 in that.
Maybe you can elaborate a little more on your requirements.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 3 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.