Licensing PrimalScript for 300 computers

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 4 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
tkvtkv

Licensing PrimalScript for 300 computers

Post by tkvtkv »

We have one vbsScript developer.
We need to debug (run) scripts on ~300 windows computers with PrimalScript.
We do not know on which computer exactly. Depending on which computer a bug had occurred.

Is it possible to purchase one license of PrimalScript and use it randomly on each of 300 computers? So there is one important condition - PrimalScript has to be executed only on one machine at a time (on any of 300 computers).
Is it possible, or, technically, we need to buy 300 licenses?
Thank you!
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Licensing PrimalScript for 300 computers

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Our software is licensed per user. So if one user uses it, one license is required. Not 300, as much as I would like that :D
Depending on how fast you go through your 300 computers, deactivating and activating might be a hassle, so I'd have to think about what we could do to help.
But if the 300 computers are in one network, you can roll our our RSEE component (Remote Script Execution Engine) and just remotely debug one machine after another.
That might be more convenient.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
tkvtkv

Post by tkvtkv »

Please, correct my understanding:
1. I need to purchase 1 license for PrimalScript

Then I have two options (2.1 OR 2.2)
2.1 Install PrimalScript on each of 300 machines.
When I'll need to run PrimalScript on a machine, i would need to activate the installation on it. After finishing debugging I'll HAVE TO deactivate the license. Or, later, I'll forget which machine has activated license. I can view who is using licenses (which machines) on your site https://info.sapien.com/index.php/quick ... vation-faq
But, if the machine - was a VM, which was destroyed without deactivating the license - i'll loose activation and'll have to write an e-mail to your support... This could be very time-consuming....
Also, there is one tricky point. If I activate PrimalScirpt on a VM in a checkpoint, then revert the VM to the previous state – I also would be unable to deactivate the license(?)…
But if I would be self-disciplined and would deactivate the license each time i finish programming (and would be very cautious working with VMs), I'll be able to avoid writing to your support (to deactivate a license, I would just need press one button "deactivate" - this is pretty fast operation). Am I correct?

2.2 Use RSEE
The RSEE is a System Service, which needs to be installed on each machine, and which is running under the local system account (by default). This is an interesting solution. Most of our scripts are running under local SYSTEM account. So the RSEE would suite well. But some scripts, are USER scripts. We'll have to debug them in real environment (user desktop) and also test them with different User rights (Administrator/User). In this case I would have to use local installation and activation of PrimalScript(?)

Please correct/approve my understanding of 2.1 and 2.2

99% of the machines are in the same network. I was wondering if it’s possible to implement some network license server, which would be contacted by all 300 installations of Primal Script (on the manual IDE startup event)... Or even implement online activation service (cloud) on you site to serve the same purpose. So... the server (on lan, or cloud) would deny running the second or third instance, using the license, if there are some running instances already(?)
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

2.1. If you forget to deactivate the machine before your nix it, you can do it on your account page on our site. So you never have to write an email. It used to be like that a long time ago, but not anymore.
You have two activations, so you only need to do that after your missed two deactivate steps. :D
You can also purchase an additional lab pack, which gives you 20 activations total. Please contact sales@sapien.com for more information.

2.2. The RSEE service runs by default under the system account, that is true. But just like any service, you can make it run under any account. It's only a real hassle if your script interacts with the user. Then
using RSEE is not the right thing to use. But I do of course not know what you are debugging.

Unfortunately we don't have a network license for a single license, sorry.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
tkvtkv

Post by tkvtkv »

OK!
So, I'll try to buy one license. And test my experience. Thank You!
This topic is 4 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.