Compile/Build PoSH App Deploy Toolkit to exe or msi.

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 6 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
PrinceMarkieD

Compile/Build PoSH App Deploy Toolkit to exe or msi.

Post by PrinceMarkieD »

Hello,
I am wondering how i may use this tool in the same way i used AutoIT. I need to take a script that has file/folder dependencies and simply make it into an exe or MSI so that it is ONE single file that can be deployed, and possible accept the arguments that the powershell script would. This was very easy to do with AutoIT , but that tool is not allowed at my new gig. I have working installers with Powershell App Deploy Toolkit that i would like to make into MSI or EXE. Even if it is just wrapper that unpacks the folder structure then runs the script, that would be fine. I need to do this because Intune currently only supports single installer files.
Thank you
mxtrinidad

Re: Compile/Build PoSH App Deploy Toolkit to exe or msi.

Post by mxtrinidad »

You just can't compare both AutoIT and Powershell App Deploy Toolkit as they are Deployment tools.

PowerShell Studio is an complete editor for Powershell development which includes the ability to package your PowerShell solution and create MSI installation as a single file for deployment.

I don't see any problems creating the MSI installer file for Intune.

Feel free to try it and let us know if you have any issues.
PrinceMarkieD

Post by PrinceMarkieD »

Thank you for the reply.
Currently , the only reason i need a tool like this one is to package my scripts into a single file. I am not sure if MSI is exactly the right tool, and I am not sure how to do it.
The scripts i run have folders and files they depend on , and i just need a single msi, or exe that will extract them, and then run the script logic. Is it possible to use Powershell Studio to create that?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

An exe is generally not a container. The entire practice of self-extracting executables has become suspect because of malware, worms, viruses etc, which likewise extract their payload from an exe. Additionally, as programs are supposed to be installed under the "Program Files" folder, the self-extract would not work without elevation. The 'Program Files' folder is a protected folder where you can only write when you are an elevated administrator. Installing software outside of the 'Program Files' folder is frowned upon and many organizations will not allow that. So ANY tool you would write and deploy in that fashion would requires such elevated privileges even if otherwise it would do nothing out of the ordinary.

You can define a staging folder for MSI file in PowerShell Studio. That means you just put all the files you want in the structure you want it in that staging folder and that structure would be replicated at the target machine on install. Your script, or a resulting packaged executable, will be copied to that staging folder during the creating of the MSI.

Based on your questions I am not entirely sure an MSI is what you want. Maybe you can elaborate on why you specifically need a single file. Is this an execute once situation or are you looking to install a multi-use tool with a single file installer?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Never mind, re-read your original post. So Intune only allows single file installers. An MSI file should do fine.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 6 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.