Differences between PrimalScript and PowerShell Studio

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 6 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
liturgist

Differences between PrimalScript and PowerShell Studio

Post by liturgist »

I have not yet found a comparison table on the Sapien site for PrimalScript and PowerShell Studio. At this time, my primary interest is in PowerShell, but I do work in other languages such as Python, Perl, SQL, and C as well as bash/ksh/cmd shell.

It sounds like PrimalScript handles all languages. What does PowerShell Studio have that is not in PrimalScript.

If I have PrimalScript or PowerShell Studio, do I have any reason to use Microsoft Visual Studio?

PowerShell 6 is released as an open source project on Github, running on Linux, Mac, and Windows. Is there a roadmap for Sapien to support building apps and form-based apps that run across all platforms?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Differences between PrimalScript and PowerShell Studio

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Probably best to watch the video on this page:
https://www.sapien.com/software/primalscript

"If I have PrimalScript or PowerShell Studio, do I have any reason to use Microsoft Visual Studio?"
I do not know. It depends on what you do. In general it is always advisable to use the best tool for any given job.

Powershell 6 is not released, it is work in progress. The released version is 5.1.
Having said that, we are of course working on supporting PowerShell 6.

There will be no windows form based apps on Powershell 6. It uses .NET core, which does not support Windows Forms. Or WPF for that matter.
There is actually no unified UI framework between platforms at this time, so while you will be able to build command line tools across platforms, UI applications are a completely different story.
We have of course no crystal ball and we cannot predict what else happens, I can only assure you that we are always looking to improve and support more platforms.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
liturgist

Post by liturgist »

I have watched the video twice. I am still left wondering what PowerShell Studio can do that PrimalScript cannot.

What I would very much like to see is a comparison, capability by capability, of the two products. Is that available on the web site? If so, where?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

https://www.sapien.com/support/faqs#2

You can easily download both and compare. Basically one is a PowerShell GUI designer and editor and the other one is a universal editor which ALSO supports PowerShell. Comparing them both feature by feature does not necessarily make sense. So there is no feature table.

"What does PowerShell Studio have that is not in PrimalScript." Its a completely different product, so there are many differences.
But for the most part, if you plan on creating GUI apps in Powershell you need PowerShell Studio. If you only do command line, PrimalScript will work just fine.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 6 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.