Powershell Studio installation failed: invalid digital signature

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 7 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
antivir

Powershell Studio installation failed: invalid digital signature

Post by antivir »

Product, version and build: Powershell Studio 2016 5.2.127
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64 bit
Operating system: Windows 7 SP1 Professional + kb3125574 cumulative post-SP1
32 or 64 bit OS: 64 bit

I can't install Powershell Studio on intranet PC (without internet). Error: "A file that is requested cannot be installed because the cabinet file C:\Users\...\install\disk1.cab has an invalid digital signature"
I turned off digital signature checking in IE settings (Allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid), but still getting error about invalid signature. Also I turned it off by local policy settings.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Powershell Studio installation failed: invalid digital signature

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Your computer is not trusting the root certificate who issued our code signing certificate. Updates to root certificates usually get installed with system updates.
You can right click on the installer, select properties, make your way to the certificate and look at the certificate path. You will see what is not trusted.
cert.png
cert.png (41.72 KiB) Viewed 10224 times
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
antivir

Post by antivir »

Ok, certificate is not trusted. My Windows 7 is up-to-date.
Can I get certificate and install it manually?
Alexander Riedel

Alexander Riedel
antivir

Post by antivir »

Actually that's another problem: certificate is OK, but error: "The timestamp signature and/or certificate could not be verified or is malformed.
1.jpg
1.jpg (156.5 KiB) Viewed 10119 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (139 KiB) Viewed 10119 times

I repeat it on test PC: when I connect it to internet, error disappears, ALL is OK.
3.jpg
3.jpg (156.06 KiB) Viewed 10119 times
This means there are no way to install Powershell Studio without internet connection. I can't connect my work PC to internet.

It is very bad for "world-class software".
Alexander Riedel

Our software can be installed on computers without internet connection. Many of our customers do so on a regular basis. The problem is with your computer. It has not received any updates to its trusted root certificates.
If the digital signature or the time stamp would be invalid, it would quite logically still be invalid when your computer is connected to the internet.
The error message clearly states that it "could not be verified OR is malformed" That is an "OR", not an "AND".

Please read the article with the link I provided. Our certificate is fine, it is the ROOT certificate (the issuer of our certificate) that is not trusted on your computer. You can do that manually, as described in the aforementioned article or you can install all relevant service builds and updates to your computer.
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

On another note, it appears from your posts that you have been using our software since 2015, but I cannot see a license associated with your account. Please provide your subscription number to support@sapien.com for evaluation.
Alexander Riedel
antivir

Post by antivir »

1. You are wrong! I have posted screenshot from FRESH installation of Windows 7 SP1 (without any updates) on virtual machine, i made it on 05 august 2016. And there are no installed Powershell Studio, you see screenshoots from properties of installation exe-file.
2. 1 and 2 screenshots are right away after installation Windows with disabled network card (Can you see "This cetrificate is ok"??????)
3. 3 screenshots is right away after enabling network card.
4. It is so simple, you can repeate it.
4. It is exaclty the same i get on my work PC.
Alexander Riedel

Please provide a valid license to support@sapien.com for continued support.
Alexander Riedel
antivir

Post by antivir »

[Post removed by moderator]
This topic is 7 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.