Profile Issue with PowerShell Studio 2016

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 7 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
james.melton@lfg.com

Profile Issue with PowerShell Studio 2016

Post by james.melton@lfg.com »

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2016
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64
Operating system: Windows 7
32 or 64 bit OS: 64

DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTIONS, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM

I'm having the same issue as the person in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10316

I understand PowerShell Studio doesn't add snapins from profiles by design, but quite honestly, that's a deal breaker for me. I need to develop scripts using SQL and HPC snapins all the time. I have dot sourced libraries that rely on those snapins being loaded. It's quite honestly not an efficient workaround to have to add those snapins at runtime for every script I develop in this IDE. Addin snapins at runtime if I have to edit/troubleshoot one of the many existing scripts that rely on these snapins is not feasible either.

I'm currently using PowerGUI, but it's long in the tooth and since Dell has left it to die, I'm searching for an alternative. We're thinking of purchasing several licenses of PowerShell Studio, but not if there isn't a way to load these snapins at IDE launch.

So, my question is, can I load the snapins at launch or do I need to load them individually? Seem like the person in the thread above found a way to do so, but he/she didn't provide an answer as to how they did this.

Thanks,

Jim Melton
IT Analyst
Lincoln Financial Group
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Profile Issue with PowerShell Studio 2016

Post by davidc »

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your candor.

If you wish to work with your existing profiles, you have the option to run the scripts in the embedded console instead of PowerShell Studio’s internal host.
Run in Console.png
Run in Console.png (38.02 KiB) Viewed 7881 times
In regards to the internal host, profiles aren’t loaded because the IDE is geared towards tool and script development. Since profiles can be tied to a particular host and/or machine, the editor doesn’t load them to ensure that the scripts will work independently of profiles. The benefits of explicitly importing snapins and modules in your scripts are:

1. Script readability. The next person that has to edit the script, does not have to search for the source module if it is explicitly included in the script instead of implied an external profile.
2. Portability. As I mentioned above, when the script is self-contained, it will run on a machine without the profile as well as on a machine with the profile.

In any case, I will forward a feature request to the development team for an option to load profiles.

Thank you once again, we really appreciate your feedback on the matter.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
james.melton@lfg.com

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry it's taken so long to reply here, but I've been deep in several projects and haven't had much time to revisit this. It'd be cool if there was an option that allowed me to load the snapins.

I have another question related to licensing. Not sure if I should start a new thread or if this one will suffice. If not, I apologize and am willing to repost.

For most of the licenses we would purchase, it would be on the work PC of the person using it. However, we have a central compile machine that we keep all our various IDEs on and compile code from that one machine. We'd like to be able to do that with PowerShell Studio. In this instance, it might be one of 3 or 4 people who would actually compile that code. My question is, would we need separate licenses for each user who would logon to that machine or would one license suffice.

Also, if we would need multiple licenses, would licenses move from one machine to the next if that PowerShell Studio license wasn't be used concurrently?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Jim
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

The licenses are on a per user basis. Therefore, if three people are using the software, you will require three licenses. We offer multi-user subscriptions that will allow multiple users to use the same subscription (license) on multiple machines and they will run concurrently.

For subscriptions question, I recommend contacting our sales department at sales@sapien.com. They will be able to assist you on deciding which model is best for your organization.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
james.melton@lfg.com

Awesome. Thanks!
This topic is 7 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.