The Language used...

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 7 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
njcappa

The Language used...

Post by njcappa »

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to Powershell, so forgive the ignorance.

I just saw the Pluralsight introduction course to Powershell Studio 2016, and i'm interested in downloading the trial version and testing it, but during the course, the trainer would double click a control and then start typing in code that looked like powershell, but was slightly different.

ex: a variable was created like this: $script:computername = $env:Computername
I was under the impression that we declare a powershell variable using just the $var= myvalue

So, my question is: is this a separate language being used here?

thanks!
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: The Language used...

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Scope modifier. Script scope to be exact. PowerShell language. This has nothing to do with PowerShell Studio, but of course I encourage you to get the trial anyway :D
I would also suggest a PowerShell book before building GUIs. It is very easy to get overwhelmed with PowerShell.

https://www.sapien.com/books_training/W ... werShell-4
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
njcappa

Post by njcappa »

Thank for the info Alexander!

I'll look into the link you suggested.

Do you know if there's a book that has working examples of form controls and powershell code to help newbies like me get a running start?
juneblender

Post by juneblender »

Great question. Start with about_Scopes: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 47849.aspx

That topic explains scopes and scope modifiers and includes examples that you can try.
This topic is 7 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.