Annoying Message: "Unable to determine activation status"

Use this forum to ask about non-product related topics (login issues, product registrations, web site questions, etc.) No technical support questions, please.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 3 years and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Jehoschua

Annoying Message: "Unable to determine activation status"

Post by Jehoschua »

Hello

I've removed the License from my old Windows 10 Setup,
reinstalled Windows 10,
reinstalled Sapien PowerShell Studio (SPS20Setup_5.7.181_082620_x64.exe)

and now I get this very annoying message:

Unable to determine activation status
Please contact Sapien Technical Support

Of course, I would expect a message like e.g.:
Please enter your Activation Key.

Thanks a lot, kind regards,
Thomas
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 38
Been upvoted: 30 times

Re: Annoying Message: "Unable to determine activation status"

Post by brittneyr »

This error usually occurs when the application does not have sufficient rights to write to the C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN folder or one of its sub folders. Please check that your logged in user has the rights to read and write to this folder as well as create folders.
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Jehoschua

Post by Jehoschua »

Hello Brittney

thank you for your help. Indeed: if I start PowerShell Studio as an Administrator, it works and asks for the License.

If you / Sapien knows the solution, why is this issue not solved? For example:
1) Change the Message to something like "Please start Sapien PowerShell Studio as an Administrator to set up the license"
2) Or Sapien PowerShell Studio could easily restart itself with elevated rights it there is no valid license.

Kind regards,
Thomas
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Because this should not be necessary and is not a recommended procedure. The AppData folder must be available for all applications under a regular user account to read, write and create folders.
If it is not, other parts of the application are not functioning as designed, unless launched as an elevated administrator.

Please note that the post above by Brittney did not say anything about launching PowerShell Studio as an elevated admin to fix this problem.
Regularly operating ANY application as an elevated admin creates unwanted security issues and is not recommended and supported by SAPIEN.

We strongly recommend that you fix your access permissions for the AppData folder and do not operate PowerShell Studio as an elevated admin at all times.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 3 years and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.