Future of PowerShell Studio with PowerShell Core

Use this forum to ask about non-product related topics (login issues, product registrations, web site questions, etc.) No technical support questions, please.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 6 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
dl_escan@alliantenergy.com

Future of PowerShell Studio with PowerShell Core

Post by dl_escan@alliantenergy.com »

Microsoft appears to be moving towards PowerShell Core as the primary focus for future PowerShell development. I have tried, in vain, several times to get PowerShell scripts that use Windows Forms to work in PowerShell Core. My limited understanding of the problem is that because PS Core is cross platform, things that are native to Windows (such as .Net forms) are not supported. With that being said, what are Sapien's plans for the future to assist customers with developing forms based scripts if MS degrades the development of Windows PowerShell and customers start moving to PowerShell core. Or maybe I am doing something wrong, and I just need to know the "trick" to get forms to work...
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Future of PowerShell Studio with PowerShell Core

Post by Alexander Riedel »

PowerShell Core will not ever support any kind of UI library. At least that is what Microsoft states now. It wouldn't make any sense anyway, as PowerShell Core is meant to be run cross platform on things like router and and other UI-less device.
I have to point out that no one here at SAPIEN works for Microsoft, so we can only guess most of the time just like you, but it is my understanding that Microsoft has no intention of removing, altering or deprecating WINDOWS PowerShell.
Windows forms applications will only run on Windows anyway, so it will always use Windows PowerShell.
The possible use for PowerShell core (and we are exploring that angle) is to create Windows applications that remotely execute PowerShell (Core or Windows) remotely on other devices.
It would not make any sense to prop a UI lib of some sort onto PowerShell Core just to find out it won't work on most devices as there is no screen to begin with.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
dl_escan@alliantenergy.com

Post by dl_escan@alliantenergy.com »

Thanks for the info. I was reading this post:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powers ... -and-more/

This statement struck me as indicating Windows PowerShell is playing second fiddle now:

Windows PowerShell 5.1, much like .NET Framework 4.x, will continue to be a built-in, supported component of Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016. However, it will likely not receive major feature updates or lower-priority bug fixes. With PowerShell Core, we are actively addressing bugs that may have existed in previous versions of Windows PowerShell. We’re even open to contributions so that these bug fixes can be made by members of our community.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Believe it or not, that is a good thing. There is a major advantage to a platform having stability rather than having everyone apply their "good ideas" to it :D
We are of course following PowerShell Core development. But at the moment that is basically an alpha version.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 6 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.