"Uninstalling the software from your device does NOT deactivate the license."

Use this forum to ask about non-product related topics (login issues, product registrations, web site questions, etc.) No technical support questions, please.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 7 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Jehoschua

"Uninstalling the software from your device does NOT deactivate the license."

Post by Jehoschua »

Hello

It's the 3rd time we think about buying your tools, and it's the 3rd time we stop just because of your annoying license handling: if a user forgets to deactivate a license (we know only 2 Products with this kind of 'protection'), we have to exaplain ourself. We have virtual environements and they are destroyed / rebuild with think some clicks and its really annoying to make sure your license is manually deacitvated.

Why don't you offer an uninstall routine which automatically deactivates the license?
» If the SW is uninstalled, there is no reason for a license.
» If the SW is reinstalled, I assume it's easy to reactivate the license...

Thanks a lot in advance,
kind regards,
Thomas
Schittli
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: "Uninstalling the software from your device does NOT deactivate the license."

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Our software is uninstalled and re-installed when updating. This is mandated by Windows installer, which in turn is mandated by MS to get Windows certified. As you can imagine it would be quite cumbersome to have to reactivate every time you install a service update.

As for the "having to explain yourself" part, that is not real a thing. I cannot check on your license because you posted with a user id that has no license associated. Generally you can reset your registration yourself or it expires anyway within a certain amount of time, allowing users to do what you describe on a normal schedule. Outside of this schedule we are happy to reset your activation if needed.
I do however currently see no such request anywhere in sales or support.

I do not know what your VM setup is, so I cannot comment on that. Generally users store snapshots AFTER activation, so the necessary software parts are just back there again after a reset. If you need frequent full resets, please contact sales@sapien.com about a lab pack.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
schittli

Re: "Uninstalling the software from your device does NOT deactivate the license."

Post by schittli »

Hi Alexander

thank you very much for your fast and detailed answer!, now we understand...

It's strange that Microsoft does not have an "Update-Application" function in their installer API - but thats another subject and one more item to love linux :-)

It's great to hear that you offer functions to self-reset activated licenses - just in case... and that your support is not fussy(?) if we once have a problem.

So I'll sleep to think about buying your 1st product for our 1st user.

Kind regards,
Tom
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 7 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.