Feature Request - Parameter Library

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 8 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
josh a

Post by josh a »

Love this product. I've found that the module I'm working on has the same parameter in multiple commands. I would like functionality that allows me to create a library of parameters and then link a parameter in the command to the parameter in the library.

- I have 12 commands with the parameter VolumeID
- I would create a linked parameter in a parameter library called VolumeID
- I would then link the parameter for all 12 commands to that parameter in the library.
- If I update the parameter information in the library it will automatically update the parameters in all 12 commands that have that parameter linked to the library.

I am aware it is possible to copy a parameter in the Tree Navigation and paste it to a new cmdlet. However, that provides only assistance during initial implementation of the help files and doesn't provide scalable assistance when updating that parameter.

In my example I have in my parameter note a mechanism for gathering the VolumeID using another command. If that command changes then my parameter description changes. I currently need to update each iteration manually.

Implementation consideration
Seems it would be straight forward to include a net new tree navigation specifically for managing commonly used objects. This is a place I could store common parameters, examples, notes, etc. This could serve as a library. The only requirement is that I would be able to copy and paste those objects into the modules tree navigation where necessary. The next step in this would be the linking mechanism where objects in the module tree could be linked to items in the library tree.

Also to note:
Copy/paste of content is tedious when Ctrl+A doesn't work properly in the text fields of the UI.
SAPIEN Support Forums

Post by SAPIEN Support Forums »

This is an automated post. A real person will respond soon.

Thank you for posting, josh a.

Did you remember to include the following?
  • 1. Product, version and build (e.g. Product: PowerShell Help Writer 2015, Version & Build: 1.0.9. Version and build information can be found in the product's About box accessed by clicking the blue icon with the 'i' in the upper right hand corner of the ribbon.)
    2. Specify if you are running a 32 or 64 bit version
    3. Specify your operating system and if it is 32 or 64 bit.
    4. Attach a screenshot if your issue can be seen on the screen
    5. Attach a zip file if you have multiple files (crash reports, log entries, etc.) related to your issue.
If not, please take a moment to edit your original post or reply to this one.

*** Make sure you do not post any licensing information ***
juneblender

Re: Feature Request - Parameter Library

Post by juneblender »

That's a great idea, Josh! Actually, Jeffrey Snover suggested a very similar idea -- a way to auto-copy a parameter description to all parameters with the same name in the module.

So, great minds... :)

What would you think about an option (you can turn it off) to insert pre-written parameter descriptions for frequently used parameter names, like ComputerName, Path, FilePath, Module, Credential, and Force?

You would still have to edit the preset descriptions to make them accurate for your function or script, but it would provide a starting point, rather than starting from scratch.
josh a

Post by josh a »

Yes. I think that would be very useful as long as the library/list of available frequently used parameters could be edited by the user.
juneblender

Post by juneblender »

I've filed a feature request in our internal DB and added it to our next planning cycle. Thanks again for taking the time to explain the request.
This topic is 8 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.