What am I doing wrong?

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
whiggs2

What am I doing wrong?

Post by whiggs2 »

To help you better we need some information from you.

*** Please fill in the fields below. If you leave fields empty or specify 'latest' rather than the actual version your answer will be delayed as we will be forced to ask you for this information. ***

Product, version and build:
PowerShell HelpWriter 2019
Version 2.3.42
32 or 64 bit version of product:
64 bit
Operating system: Windows 10 1809
32 or 64 bit OS:
64 bit

Ok. So I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have a module that I am writing and using powershell help writer to simultaneously create the help content for the module. So, when I reach a good place in the module, I will deploy it to my github repo. I have a powershell help writer project that was built from the module that was deployed to the github repo. I would then deploy the updated help content to the deployed module repo, then publish it. And when ever I would add function to the module, I would have powershell help writer deploy and re-build the module to update the module information and to pull the new functions. However, this is where I run into trouble. Whenever I deploy and rebuild the module, powershell help writer seems to clear out the module help information that was there previously. For example, all of the descriptions for the parameters are cleared, all of the descriptions for the commands themselves are cleared, all the notes are cleared, etc. Its getting to the point where I need to create another powershell help writer project to use as the "rebuild" module, which will obtain the new functions, then copy/paste them to the actual project with the help content in order to prevent the app from deleting my work. See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c4ibivk8Jg
*** Please add details and screenshots as needed below. ***

DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTIONS, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post by davidc »

One vital step that is easy to missing is updating all the exported functions' comment-based help to reference the external help file:

Code: Select all

<#
    .EXTERNALHELP PoshBox.psm1-Help.xml   
#>
Note: HelpWriter creates a backup of the original help files before rebuilding. You can find the backup copy in the Help_Backup folder under the project's directory.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 5 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.