Possible to compre 2 files in repository having different names?

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
LtMandella

Possible to compre 2 files in repository having different names?

Post by LtMandella »

Product, version and build: VersionRecall 2016 REMOVED BY MODERATOR
32 or 64 bit version of product:64
Operating system: win server 2008 r2 standard
32 or 64 bit OS: 64

I installed VersionRecall and setup repositories successfully for my scripting folders.

What I now would like to do is use the compare function to view differences between 2 different filenames in the same folder in the repository.

Is this possible?

thanks,
ken
DevinL

Re: Possible to compre 2 files in repository having different names?

Post by DevinL »

First, please be sure not to post your subscription number in your posts as this is a public forum anyone can see it and store if for their own uses.

That being said, what it sounds like is you only have to select the two files you wish to compare and press the Compare button in the ribbon. For example, in the following screenshot I have MOCK_DATA.csv and Test.xml selected then I press Compare to make the compare view appear:
Compare_Files.png
Compare_Files.png (53.59 KiB) Viewed 14966 times
DevinL
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
LtMandella

Post by LtMandella »

(sorry about the subscription info, I thought it was part of the version info)

maybe I am not in the right dialogue.
VersionRecallCompare.png
VersionRecallCompare.png (60.41 KiB) Viewed 14964 times
When I select two completely different files and click the "compare" icon, I get two windows showing the exact same file.

Please see attached screen shot.
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

In that case, this is a bug and we need to get this fixed.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I've alerted the developers and when I get some more information I'll be sure to post it here.
DevinL
LtMandella

Post by LtMandella »

I just assume it is user error but let me know if I can be of any further help.

ken
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

It appears that it was indeed user error on both of our parts, the Compare button actually compares the last file you selected to its latest version that's stored in the repository.

That being said, this would be a useful addition so I've filed a feature request and hopefully we can get this added at some point.

While it's not the most elegant solution, you can always resort to opening ScriptMerge and select the two files you wish to compare.
DevinL
LtMandella

Post by LtMandella »

10-4, thanks for the follow up!
ken
This topic is 7 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.