Control Suggestions

Ask questions about creating Graphical User Interfaces (GUI) in PowerShell and using WinForms controls.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 10 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Lery154

Control Suggestions

Post by Lery154 »

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some control suggestions.

When the form is run, I have a listbox control that is populated with the contents of file called computers.txt. The end user can click on one of the computer names, push a button and magic happens.

In addition, I have a textbox control. In that control, the end user can enter in a computer name. When they push a button magic happens and the computer name they entered goes into the computers.txt file. The next time the form is run, the computer name entered in the textbox control previously, would show up in the listbox for selection should the end user feel compelled to do so.

Everything works as I intend it to. I decided to come to you wise folks to ask if perhaps there are any other ideas to accomplish what I'm doing? Perhaps a better control to use? I can absolutely use the combobox control, but I'm not interested in that one. I think the checkedlistbox control would also be a nice alternative.
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Re: Control Suggestions

Post by jvierra »

I think I would start by reading up on how to design forms.

Here is one article that might be useful:
http://www.sapien.com/blog/topics/user- ... istrators/
Lery154

Post by Lery154 »

jvierra wrote:I think I would start by reading up on how to design forms.

Here is one article that might be useful:
http://www.sapien.com/blog/topics/user- ... istrators/
Great, I think I've read those before but I'll double check. I was just looking for design ideas. Eye candy if you will.
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Post by jvierra »

That is what I am referring too. In technical forms we do not use 'eye candy' The methods for tech form design are flexible but require an approach different from building entertainment forms.

Research through some of the many books written on the subject. Look at how forms are designed by Microsoft and others.

Color and backgrounds should be pleasant and easy to read. The form should lead you through the steps visually. Excess noise should be avoided.
This topic is 10 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.