Dot Sourcing the globals.ps1 from the JobTracker

Ask questions about creating Graphical User Interfaces (GUI) in PowerShell and using WinForms controls.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 3 years and 2 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
brianclark

Dot Sourcing the globals.ps1 from the JobTracker

Post by brianclark »

Product: PowerShell Studio 2021 (64 Bit)
Build: v5.8.183
Build: v10.0.17763.0

I have what I am hoping will be an easy/quick answer for someone. I do not want to keep recreating or copying my functions from the Globals to a job tracker so that I can utilize it. I read in another post in this forum that you can dot source the globals. Admittedly, that post was from like 2015.
I tried it anyway and it does not seem to want to work.
I am placing ". .\Globals.ps1" in the Jobscript of my jobtracker. I have also tried ".\Globals.ps1" and I get an error when I run the job;

ERROR: The term '.\Globals.ps1' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path
ERROR: was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
ERROR: + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (.\Globals.ps1:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
ERROR: + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
ERROR: + PSComputerName : localhost

I know how to dot source, so guess I am just wondering if there is something more to it while using the jobtracker.
Thanks, Brian.
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Re: Dot Sourcing the globals.ps1 from the JobTracker

Post by brittneyr »

The reason for the error is because when running a project, Globals.ps1 is is merged with all project files with the build setting set to include into one script file (ProjectName.Run.ps1). All build settings for project files can be viewed in the Properties panel.

To call an existing function in a job, you need to do something like the following:

Code: Select all

$functions = {
    function TEST { Write-Output "Hello World" }
}

Start-Job -InitializationScript $functions -ScriptBlock {TEST} | Wait-Job| Receive-Job
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 3 years and 2 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.