Handling hi res

Ask questions about creating Graphical User Interfaces (GUI) in PowerShell and using WinForms controls.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 3 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Handling hi res

Post by Alexander Riedel »

It is hard to judge this from just a UI snippet and not knowing any screen sizes, magnification factors etc. If I where to design a dialog like that I would give myself more space.
I do not know if you have specific reasons for color scheme, multi-line buttons and changing font sizes, so for discussions sake I assume they are cosmetic. Please don't be offended, it is your app and yours to do with as you please, I am only trying to help in a general sense.
2020-08-05_9-30-55.jpg
2020-08-05_9-30-55.jpg (72.15 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Keep button text to one line. The longest text in a group should determine the size of all buttons. When it appears too large, find a shorter expression.
Stick with Windows default look and feel. The benefit of a unified UI style is that everyone can use it with very little additional training. Your coloring would render your dialog unusable to a group with certain colorblindness problems. I don't know if that is a concern for you, but I point it out for those lurking here.
Give yourself room around all controls, so if Windows scales and resizes controls it is less likely to run into another control.
Test with different magnification settings. We generally check up to 175%, in some cases up to 200%. Get an old laptop to test this so you don't have to fiddle with the development machine.
And yes, setting dpi awareness will help, but that should already be set in the .config file. Please double check.

I will try to add to that info article with some updated information when I get some time. (So please don't expect it tomorrow :D )
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Lembasts
Has voted: 1 time
Been upvoted: 1 time

Post by Lembasts »

Thanks heaps.
I like colour - it would be hard to go back to the standard boring colour scheme. We have around 100 users of the app and no-one has mentioned colour issues so Ill leave it at that.
I could go for single line buttons - it will be a bit confusing for some as a single word may not convey exactly what the button does but Ill give it a try. Ill make sure I ramp up the tooltips!
I was wondering how to test this. So ramping up to 200% magnification can mimic a 4k (196dpi) screen? That's good to know. i thought I had to get a 4k screen for myself to test. I might just get one anyway :-)
Thanks for looking at updating the article. Some practical examples would be great.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Let me put it this way, if you didn't yet get a laptop with a 4K screen, you should :D
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 3 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.