Compile as 32bit if possible?

Ask questions about creating Graphical User Interfaces (GUI) in PowerShell and using WinForms controls.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 6 years and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
swindmiller

Compile as 32bit if possible?

Post by swindmiller »

I have a really basic GUI for scanning in ID badges that I made on Win10 machine. So by default when I complied as an EXE it complied as 64-bit and v5 of Powershell. Does it make sense to compile it at 32-bit and v2 of Powershell if everything still works?
I would assume yes to make sure if someone is running it on and old Win7 machine it will still work, but am I missing something?

Thanks,
Scott
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Compile as 32bit if possible?

Post by Alexander Riedel »

There is only one way to find out. Build it and try it.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Post by jvierra »

There is more than architecture and PS version to consider. It also depends on the requirements your code has for subsystems and modules.

I should also note that V2 has been officially deprecated and should not be used on any system going forward.
swindmiller

Post by swindmiller »

Thanks to both of you. We are slowly migrating off Win7 to Win10 which would be PS5 and most of our PCs are 64bit. I just wanted to make sure if someone wanted to run this on an older PC they could. I will probably compile a 64-bit PS5 version and a 32-bit PS2 version just to be safe.
Thanks for the replies!
This topic is 6 years and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.