PrimalScript and Wix Toolset

Batch, ASP, JScript, Kixtart, etc.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 8 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
glennbrennan

PrimalScript and Wix Toolset

Post by glennbrennan »

I may need to create an a few installers using the WIX Toolset. Would PrimalScript be useful for this project?
WIX is not listed as one of the languages but I understand the scripts are written using XML.
Would Primal XML be useful for this project?
Thanks, Glenn
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Re: PrimalScript and Wix Toolset

Post by jvierra »

WIX? With is a program.

It is hard to understand what you are asking.

Yes, PrimalScript is useful for writing XML. I use it frequently. The assumption is that you know XML and that you know the schema of the XML you are writing. PS will do basic checking of the XML structure. It will allow you to edit the XML in a controlled way and it helps prevent basic syntax and structure violations.
glennbrennan

Post by glennbrennan »

I am not familiar with WIX toolset yet, but here is a brief description.

The Windows Installer XML (WIX) Toolset is a free software toolset that builds Windows Installer packages from XML code. It consists of a command-line environment that developers may integrate into their build processes to build MSI and MSM packages.

What would be the better package to purchase for using WIX to build MSI (or EXE) for a few products; PrimalScript or PrimalXML?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

That really depends on your preference. I do a lot of work with WiX for the installers that PrimalScript can create directly, so I use PrimalScript for editing the XML as well. (I am biased though :D ) PrimalXML will work for you too if all you do is XML. Both are available as 45 day trial, so I would say install both and see which one you like best.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
glennbrennan

Post by glennbrennan »

Thanks Alexander! I have started 45 day trials as you suggested but I would like to decide today since the software sale ends tonight. PrimalXML looks pretty slim. Does PrimalScript offer anything for the installer build process other than editing the XML files?
This topic is 8 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.