Need Some script advice

Batch, ASP, JScript, Kixtart, etc.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 14 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
wickedshark

Need Some script advice

Post by wickedshark »

Hi I am looking for the best way to create a set of scripts to do this. I have multiple levels of scripts that I need to create.

I need to run a batch file to do the following. I need advice on if I should ue powershell or batch files or most likely both.

Launch script from client PC
have script access a test file for the test I want to run from a network location
Run the test on a networked server which is not where the test files are
send the result file back to a network location for saving and review later which ends the test
This is the first step and then I need to be able to run this same test at the same time on multiple network servers.

The next piece I am not sure I can get help with here. That is I need to grow the script to work on multiple operating systems.

I am looking for advice of where to start. I can run on all of my tests locally on the system being tested now with simple batch files. Now I need to get to the next level.
wickedshark

Need Some script advice

Post by wickedshark »

Hi I am looking for the best way to create a set of scripts to do this. I have multiple levels of scripts that I need to create.

I need to run a batch file to do the following. I need advice on if I should ue powershell or batch files or most likely both.

have script access a test file for the test I want to run from a network location
send the result file back to a network location for saving and review later which ends the test
This is the first step and then I need to be able to run this same test at the same time on multiple network servers.

The next piece I am not sure I can get help with here. That is I need to grow the script to work on multiple operating systems.

I am looking for advice of where to start. I can run on all of my tests locally on the system being tested now with simple batch files. Now I need to get to the next level.
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Need Some script advice

Post by jvierra »

This is what we uysually do with all scripts in all languages.

All scripting langauges available on all systems can do this.

No problem here

Also very easy.

Start by looking at script in the Script Sharing forum.
Consider purchasing a book. This site has books be a couple of authors for many scripting languages. All atr very good for a beginner.

I know it's hard to know how to start with scripting sometimes. I guess the best advice is to say look at other peoples scripts; run them. Try to understand line-by-line what the script is doing. Read threads in tehis forum to see how others approach problems and how they are solved.

The list you posted is very vague. It says yu want to do what nearly every script does. YOu give no details and no outcome. Not much to begin with so you may really need to start by trying to accurately define what it is you need to accompish.

Post back with your script if you get stuck.

Good Luck
jvierra2009-08-13 21:06:39
spectre87

Need Some script advice

Post by spectre87 »

A great book that I have used as a reference is Advanced VBScript for Microsoft Windows Administrators by Don Jones and Jeffery Hicks. It is very extensive and informative.
This topic is 14 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.