Filtering TimeGenerated in WQL

Anything VBScript-related, including Windows Script Host, WMI, ADSI, and more.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 11 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
EBrant

Post by EBrant »

Hello All

Can someone please help me with the following question.

I have a script as follows:

Basically it echos Ernie to the screen for every 1001 event "as long as the event was created today"

Now what I would like to do is filter the WQL further by adding AND TimeGenerated

for example TempStr below is 20121130 (as today is the 30 Nov 2012)

Therefore I want to say something like AND TimeGenerated LIKE 'TempStr%' but this does not work.

Can someone please tell me how I can use TimeGenerated in WQL comparing to a variable like todays date for example to only pull back todays event, rather than all the "If Then Next" I am doing.

Thanks All in advance

On Error Resume Next

Dim objWMIService, colItems, objItem, today, day1, month1, year1, TempStr

today = Cstr(Date())
day1 = Left(today,2)
month1 = mid(today,4,2)
year1 = Right(today,4)
TempStr = year1 & month1 & day1

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}.rootcimv2")
'Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery ("Select * FROM Win32_NtLogEvent WHERE LogFile = 'Application' AND EventCode = 1001 AND TimeGenerated LIKE ''")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery ("Select * FROM Win32_NtLogEvent WHERE LogFile = 'Application' AND EventCode = 1001")

For Each objItem in colItems

If mid(objItem.timegenerated,7,2) = day1 Then
If mid(objItem.timegenerated,5,2) = month1 Then
If left(objItem.timegenerated,4) = year1 Then

WScript.Echo "Ernie"

End If
End If
End If

Next
On Error GoTo 0
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Post by jvierra »

Just use the WMI helper for datetimes:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx

THis allows ytou to convert the stringinto a real datetime object and use it with VBscript or with PowerShell, C, C++ C# etc.
EBrant

Post by EBrant »

Thanks Jim, I will check it out :)
Ernie
This topic is 11 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.