Error capturing advice

Anything VBScript-related, including Windows Script Host, WMI, ADSI, and more.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 11 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
superfly12

Error capturing advice

Post by superfly12 »

Hi,

I have script that's been used to launch patches but it doesn't seem to capture errors efficiently. We are using shell run method of the shell object(oShell = Wscript.CreateObject("wscript.shell"); oRun = oShell.Run( pathtopatch) ) and it outputs 0 even if there is any fatal error during patch installation, like .net patches. When i try verbose log of such patch, its around 15-20MB. I am not sure whether its good idea to parse such a big text file in vbscript and look for errors as there would be multiple such patches. alternately it creates hotfix.log.html which is around 1-2MB. How can I read errors from a html files? What would be a good way to handle such issues? Or are there any better alternate ways?

Thanks.
rs6000101

Error capturing advice

Post by rs6000101 »

Take a look at the "vbs capturing application installation error messages" script at the following link this should do what you need best of luck.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 1509105e80
This topic is 11 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.