Unable to access ChangeVue repository

Archived Product support for ChangeVue users
This topic is 14 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
alfaman

Post by alfaman »

Hi guys. I have a problem accessing an existing ChangeVue repository.With the UNC path to the repositury configured, when ChangeVue launches it hangs. I've tried deleting the ChangeVue registry keys in HKCU and the problem persists. I've also tried an uninstall/reinstall and again the problem persists. Another user can still connect to the repository. Can you make any suggestions for troubleshooting steps I can take? I'm using v1.0.3.Many thanks,Nigel
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

The repositories should be stored here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareSAPIEN Technologies, Inc.ChangeVue2009DirectoriesRepositories
Can you confirm that you deleted that entry?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
alfaman

Post by alfaman »

Yes, that key was deleted, in fact I deleted the whole of HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareSAPIEN Technologies, Inc. to be sure. Having removed the registry keys, when the product is launched it prompts for a repository. When I direct it to our shared repository on a NetApps filer by entering the UNC path to the repository, ChangeVue stops repsonding. If I direct it to a different repository on the same filer, the product launches successfully. If I then try to add the original repository in as well, the product again hangs. As the failure is every time I access the one repository, and the fault is not being experienced by another user, this makes me suspect that it is something on that repository that is the problem, rather than anything else. What are the risks of removing my user name from <REPOSITORY UNC>__ChangeVueFiles__Users.dat and/or <REPOSITORY UNC>__ChangeVueFiles__UDATA<MY_USERNAME>? Would the user be recreated when I restart ChangeVue? Clutching at straws here, and reluctnat to fiddle with the repository manually becuase of the risk of losing the source and history data it contains.Any help greatly appreciated.Regards,Nigel
Alexander Riedel

You shouldn't really edit these files directly, let me find out what I can do. I'll get back to you today.
Alexander Riedel
alfaman

Post by alfaman »

Any update?
Alexander Riedel

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't forgotten you, just banging my head to try and replicate that behavior. Try as I might it always worked fine.

So we might just as well go ahead and delete the user entries and see what happens. What security model do you have ChangeVue configured for?
Alexander Riedel
alfaman

Post by alfaman »

Hi,I've deleted my acoc**ts from the __ChangeViewFiles__Users.dat file and also deleted the file relating to my users from the folder __ChangeViewFiles__UDATA. Having done this, I start ChangeVue and am prompted to add a repository. I navigate to the repository and click OK. ChangeVue then hangs i.e. the bahaviour is still the same.The security model on the repository is Standard.I've just done some testing from a physical machine and two VMs and am embarrassed to say I now have suspicions that the problem may be related to network configuration. I'll do some further testing and post an update.Regards,Nigel
alfaman

Post by alfaman »

Alexander,Unfortunately the network problem was a temporary issue this morning, so it didn't account for the repository problems.I've now manged to access the repository. To do this I did the following:Renamed the user account on the dev box (it was a local account)Renamed the dev box itselfUninstalled ChangeVueDeleted ChangeVue specific reg entries left behind in HKLM and HKCU (not many left behind, and didn't look particularly relevant to the problem).Deleted the Change Vue folder that is under the user's application data folderReinstalled ChangeVueConfigured the repository as normalI'd tried all this before except deleting the stuff in application data, so I think the renaming of user and computer was irrelevant (I did it merely to ensure a different ChnageVue user name with standard security on the repository), and the critical bit was deleting the ChangeVue content in the user's application data folder. It seemed to contain some sort of cache info etc.Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue in the future.Regards,Nigel
Alexander Riedel

Thanks! That is very helpful. I will direct our developers to look into that.
Alex
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 14 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.