Changevue Problems

Archived Product support for ChangeVue users
This topic is 14 years and 2 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
gjsteinke@winwholesale.com

Changevue Problems

Post by gjsteinke@winwholesale.com »

I have been working on trying to get Changevue to work for weeks, and as yet have been unsuccessful. I am pretty frustrated right now, but I am wondering if my thinking of how it should work is incorrect. Perhaps you can help me. I am running on Windows XP, with version 4.5.581 of PrimalScript and version 1.0.22 of ChangeVue 2009.I have set everything up as shown in the help file, and originally it would not work at all. I deleted the Repository and recreated it, and that made no difference. Finally I deleted the repository, uninstalled ChangeVue, then recreated both. Now I have it partially working, at least in my thinking. Currently, I can check things out in ChangeVue, and when I go into Primalscript and click on the file, the Read Only status of the file is removed. If I go back into ChangeVue, and check the file back in, when I go back into PrimalScript and click on the file the Read Only status reappears. In my thinking, this is how it should be. If I try to check a file out from within PrimalScript, it does nothing. The status is not changed in ChangeVue or in PrimalScript. If I call up a file that is checked in, it does not check it out. If I go to the tools menu and click check out it does not check the file out. Shouldn't at least one of these work? How do I get it to work?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Changevue Problems

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Sorry for the late reply. I am sorry to hear you had trouble setting this up.

There is a lot of potential for misunderstanding and mismatched expectations here, so I will create a more detailed explanation and post it on our blog at http://www.sapien.com/blog. Please look for it there soon.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
g.kroonder

Changevue Problems

Post by g.kroonder »

I've also tried and failed to get a handle on how CV is supposed to work, especially from within PrimalScript.

Regards,
George.
Ferdinand Rios

Changevue Problems

Post by Ferdinand Rios »

If you can describe the problem that you are having in a bit more detail, we can do a better job of helping you set it up. We understand that some people have never worked with version control systems (not saying that this is true of you) and we want to make sure that everyone that purchases the product can successfully use it.
F.G. Rios
g.kroonder

Changevue Problems

Post by g.kroonder »

This is definately true for me (I'm almost proud of it). How I got here today is that I've upgraded to the latest releases and thought I'd check the CV forum to see if there was any 'news'.

It has been a while since I tried working with CV, but my issues were pretty much the same as th TS's. CV works fine and I could check-in/out from within CV, but fromPrimalScript I never got it to work.

It wouldn't check-out on opening a file, not show scheck out status correctly if I opened it from CV. If openened from PrimalScript I could not use the check-in/out options.

I promised myself to figure it all out someday, but really haven't had the time (and sort of think it should have worked the way I tried using it).

My post was also intended a a reminder to Alexander, as I would very much welcome a (blog) post about this. Or any other thing that would help me.

George.
Ferdinand Rios

Changevue Problems

Post by Ferdinand Rios »

There are a few blog posts that you may want to look at:

Source Control Basics
http://www.sapien.com/blog/2009/01/12/w ... ol-system/

Setting up ChangeVue
http://www.sapien.com/blog/2009/01/22/v ... rs-part-1/

ChangeVue and PrimalScript
http://www.sapien.com/blog/2009/01/24/v ... rs-part-2/

If you work through these (particularly #3 above it sounds like in your case) and if you still have problems, let us know. We are here to help.
gjsteinke@winwholesale.com

Changevue Problems

Post by gjsteinke@winwholesale.com »

Thank you. I will take a look.
g.kroonder

Changevue Problems

Post by g.kroonder »

Hi Frios,

I have looked at these "way back" and checked the PS settings (setup for source control, etc.) to no avail. I will give it a new go the next days.

George.
g.kroonder

Changevue Problems

Post by g.kroonder »

Actually I thought I'd do a quick check with my current settings and it works pretty much as I think it should.

I could add a file for source control, check it in. If I opened it (from recent) it would open read only. If I changed something It made me check it out.

The status in PS and CV were updated (did require an F5 refresh in CV).

Even tried some 'stupid' things like trying to check out (from CV) when the wil was open in PS. Seemed to handle it correctly.

No complaints so far :)

George.
This topic is 14 years and 2 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.