Object Browser fails to open!

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 10 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
mamuelle_de

Object Browser fails to open!

Post by mamuelle_de »

Hello *,

I've bought a license of PowerShell Studio 2012 and actually I'm evaluating PrimalSQL 2012, too.

But unfortunately I get stuck because the Object Browser does not open and show tables, views and procedures of a database Connection to a remote MS SQL Server 2008R2 Standard instance but idles indefinitely.

But ...

+ "Test Connection" is successful.
+ The connection string is working quite well in PowerShell scripts.
+ "Quering with SQL Text" using right-click at the instance Name opens a Windows where all SQL queries succeeds.
+ Exported query forms or PowerShell scripts DO work from the PowerShell comd line or PowerShell Studio 2012 even if I do an Export as an .exe

By the way - the Object Explorer of PowerShell Studio 2012 does act the same as PrimalSQL 2012 and tries to open the DB object tree indefinitely :-(

The DB Connection is also working fine from MS SQL Server Management Studio 2008R2, too.

The instance I'm trying to connect is a remote MS SQL Server database instance. Connecting to a local SQLEXPRESS 2008R2 default demo DB instance does work and expands correctly.

Any help to get the DB Ojbect Explorer of PrimalSQL 2012 and the PowerShell Studio 2012 up and running is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance for any advise and help.

Best regards from Germany

Matthias
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Object Browser fails to open!

Post by davidc »

When the Object Browser is busy it is because it's building a cached version of the database. This can take a while depending on the connection speed and the size of the database.

Is this a large database with a lot of tables, views, etc.?

Can you open the Query Builder and see the table information?

Under Options->Panels - Can you uncheck Load Fields and see if that makes a difference?

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
mamuelle_de

Re: Object Browser fails to open!

Post by mamuelle_de »

Dear David,
davidc wrote:When the Object Browser is busy it is because it's building a cached version of the database. This can take a while depending on the connection speed and the size of the database.

Is this a large database with a lot of tables, views, etc.?

Can you open the Query Builder and see the table information?

Under Options->Panels - Can you uncheck Load Fields and see if that makes a difference?

David
many thanks for your response as yo're right completely ... Because the database instance has got a very large table count and also several ten thousands of data records are contained within each table it took a *very* long time to build the object tree.

But finally it works!

Best regards from Germany
Matthias
This topic is 10 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.