Can't install PrimalSQL on computer with no internet access

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
DiZzyDmon
Has voted: 1 time

Can't install PrimalSQL on computer with no internet access

Post by DiZzyDmon »

PrimalSQL 4.2.54_08051632, 64 bit
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit

I am trying to install PrimalSQL on a computer that does not have internet access. I get a "Warning 4154" that a prerequisite could not be installed. If I dismiss this warning and continue, the install fails. I've attached a screenshot of the warning and the MSI logs.

I've seen other postings on the 4154 error in the forum and they're about certificate checking. This computer cannot access the internet to check a certificate. Is there any way to bypass this and get the software installed?
Attachments
MSI49a64.LOG
(728 Bytes) Downloaded 565 times
MSI4c1f1.LOG
(37.87 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
Warning_4154.png
Warning_4154.png (9.95 KiB) Viewed 20126 times
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Can't install PrimalSQL on computer with no internet access

Post by davidc »

This usually occurs if your trusted root certificates aren't up to date or the machine doesn't trust the issuing provider. The trusted root certificates are usually updated by Windows Update.

Alternatively, you can temporarily disable the signature check in:

Control Panel->Internet Options->Advanced tab->check "Allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid" option.
Internet Options - Allow software.png
Internet Options - Allow software.png (25.79 KiB) Viewed 20120 times
For security reasons, you will want to disable the option after installing the software.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
DiZzyDmon

Post by DiZzyDmon »

Darn, "Allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid" didn't work.

I then tried opening things up even more under Internet Options > Advanced > Security (screenshot attached), restarted, verified that Group Policy didn't revert any of my changes, tried the install again. It took a lot less time to fail (presumably because it wasn't trying to check the certificates), but it still failed the same way: I chose to continue after getting Warning 4154, the install ran a bit further then failed with "disk1.cab has an invalid digital signature".
Attachments
disk1.cab error.png
disk1.cab error.png (11.7 KiB) Viewed 20115 times
Internet Properties Advanced Security.png
Internet Properties Advanced Security.png (34.03 KiB) Viewed 20115 times
davidc

Post by davidc »

I suspect this has to do with the timestamp server we originally used. We had a similar issue with the other products and we made the change to the installer to resolve the issue. Please keep any eye out for the next service release.

In the meantime, please check the signatures of the cab file when the error appears.

The steps are posted in this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10756&p=58497&hili ... ate#p58497
David
DiZzyDmon

Post by DiZzyDmon »

I followed the steps in the article you referenced. The Certificate window > Certification Path tab for all three of the signed files (PQL16Setup_4.2.54_080516_x64.exe, PrimalSQL 2016.msi, disk1.cab) looked like "Trusted Certificate.png", with Certificate status "This certificate is OK".

I tried installing the certificate, first allowing it to "Automatically select the certificate store based on the type of certificate" (which dropped it in "Other People") - the install still failed. I tried again, this time selecting "Place all certificates in the following store" and choosing "Trusted Publishers" - no luck with that either.

Nothing worked, same pair of error messages each time, the install always failed. I will wait for the next service release.
davidc

Post by davidc »

We just released the latest service build. Please try the new build and let us know if you are able to install the software.
David
DiZzyDmon

Post by DiZzyDmon »

Sorry, the new installer (PQL16Setup_4.2.55_120716_x64.exe) didn't make any difference - it failed the same way, first the prerequisites, then the main install. I've attached the .MSI logs, if that's any help.

A few days ago I gave up and installed "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio" 16.5. It works fine, but it's quite the bloatware just to be able to run queries against databases.

You can go ahead and close this topic/ticket.
Attachments
MSI2ed83.LOG
(19.85 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
MSI2e7c6.LOG
(363 Bytes) Downloaded 723 times
This topic is 7 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.