How to indicate that the application is working

Archived support forum for customers who once purchased a PrimalForms product license. This forum is locked.
This topic is 11 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Hi, I have a script that calls an external exe file to process some data. This can take anywhere from 1-3 minutes to do. I have tried to use the progressbar to show that the application is working in the background, but until now I haven't been succesfull. What I would like to do, is to have the progressbar(or any kind of animation in fact) to run/animate WHILE the external exe file is doing what it does. I can only make the progressbar increment before or after the exe file. Is there any way of doing what I'm trying to do ? Best regardsKenneth
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

You might want to look at the Blog article on the Progress Bar: http://www.sapien.com/blog/2011/07/14/p ... r-control/ I recommend using the Marquee style, since you have no idea when the process will end. David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Thanks, but as I understand it, the 'Marquee' is only supported up to Win XP ? Also, the examples in the blog article doesn't seem to run/change while external commands are executed with the '&' function ? RgsKenneth
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

The Marguee style works with all the latest windows versions. Are you running a script or starting an external application? If you are running a script you might want to consider using Jobs. If you running an executable, I recommend using Start-Process. David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

I run an executable - I'll have a look at start-process, thanks :)
mcrank

Post by mcrank »

May not be the best way but I change my cursor to the Wait while executing a function and then return it to normal when the function exits. Poor mans I'm busy but it works.

$buttonTab2Go_Click={
#Change the cursor to Hour Glass while executing CreateMoveRequest function
$formEST.Cursor =[System.Windows.Forms.Cursors]::WaitCursor
CreateMoveRequest
$formEST.Cursor =[System.Windows.Forms.Cursors]::Default
}
This topic is 11 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.