Error: Saving updated resources failed: 5

Archived support forum for customers who once purchased a PrimalForms product license. This forum is locked.
This topic is 11 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
kganann

Post by kganann »

Well, 5 or 111. That's the error I started getting today when packaging my forms into .EXEs. I'm rebooted, uninstalled/reinstalled, deleted c:usersusernameappdataroamingsapienprimalforms 2011temp, uninstalled/rebooted/reinstalled, and basically it keeps happening - but occasionally it works, to make it weirder (usually after I swap it between 32 and 64bits, sometimes when I check STA, but all of them work sometimes, none of them work all the time). My first workstation always gives the error in the title, but then I jumped the PFFs to my other workstation, and it could package them sometimes, but when it failed it gives the same message, but ends it in 111. I can't find any documentation on this error, or how to resolve it. Any ideas?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

5 = ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
111 = ERROR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW
The latter usually means the file name is too long.

The access denied can happen easily if you try to re-package while the current version is running.

As for the buffer overflow, where is your pff exactly and what OS are you running?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
kganann

Post by kganann »

On the computer getting the 5, it's at C:usersusernamedocumentssapienprimalforms 2011files, and on the one getting the 111 it's located at computernamemedia, a share I set up to cross the two boxes. I did kill my session before trying to package - normally if I leave it open, nothing happens when I run the packager, but this is creating a new EXE when I package it that is 47.5kb - consistently. Whenever it failes, whether with 5 or 111, it creates a 47.5kb stub that fails to run. The packaged script is 917kb. I run Windows 7 SP1 x64 on both machines.
Alexander Riedel

Are you running any virus shield or realtime protection software that might interfere with updating resources.

Try deleting the existing file BEFORE packaging and see if that makes any difference.
Alexander Riedel
kganann

Post by kganann »

We have McAfee on our machines - have you seen similar reports? It's been that way for months... And I have tried deleting the file - like all the other attempts, it only seems to work sometimes.
Alexander Riedel

No, never heard anything like it.
It's the "sometimes" that is really bothersome.
Usually if it doesn't work then it never works and that makes it pretty easy to pinpoint the cause. Which led to the realtime protection question.

What exact build of PrimalForms do you have?

Can you switch McAfee off for a test? Or use a machine without it just to make sure that's not it?
Alexander Riedel
kganann

Post by kganann »

I'll see if I can get the McAfee disabled, but I'm checking it's stats and it shows 0 for actions blocked, be they port, file or registry in the last day. 2.0.18 - I see there's an upgrade to 19. I'll try that, unless you advise I shouldn't.
Alexander Riedel

Nothing in that build regarding packager, but it won't hurt.
Any other software that scans your hard drive etc?
Do you use any virtual machine software? I would create a clean standard Windows 7 VM and try there. Then slowly introduce whatever you are running in your environment one by one. I am pretty sure it is some type of interaction.

Also, can you try if it is script related? Try packaging a simple "Hello World" script and see if that displays the same symptoms.
Alexander Riedel
kganann

Post by kganann »

It happens across multiple scripts - the desktop occasionally also gets a 110 now as well. Killing the virus scanner makes no difference. I get better results when I delete the existing package first, but after one or two times even that doesn't help. I also tried running the program as admin, but that doesn't make a difference. Is there anywhere I can see what it's getting the Access Denied on?
Alexander Riedel

"the desktop occasionally also gets a 110 now as well" I am not sure what that means.
Could you elaborate on that?

From the error message you initially described you are getting an error message on the BeginUpdateResource API call. Which is highly unusual. The only way I can replicate that in the lab is by network locking the executable right after it is created and before the script is packaged into it. Which is a very small window of time. I need to stop the packager in the debugger to accomplish that.

I would do a thorough file system check and start with a clean VM and see what interaction causes this. Since no one else ever reported anything remotely like this I am pretty certain it is something in your environment.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 11 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.