Big thumbs down on new Event Picker

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
robert.ganshorn

Big thumbs down on new Event Picker

Post by robert.ganshorn » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Product, version and build: Powershell Studio 2016
Operating system: Win7
32 or 64 bit OS: 64 bit

I really dislike the new event picker compared to the one found in older versions (2012/2015). The worst part is that it won't let you create an event if there is (or it thinks there is) code already there for it. So if an event in deleted, you can't just pick it again and it will use the existing code like it used to. I can't create a cellvaluechanged event for my datagrid and that is a huge issue!

Ok, so I manually created event code and chose it from the datagridview event properties panel. I still think the new even picker/creator is nowhere near as good as the old one. There's a few times I've had PS Studio delete ALL my events for no reason and I have to recreate them ALL. That is also a PITA.

Rob

davidc

Re: Big thumbs down on new Event Picker

Post by davidc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:51 pm

Please answer the following questions:

1. What build of PowerShell Studio 2016 do you have installed?
2. Do you have a psf file that demonstrations the deleting events? Is it deleting the events from the script or just the references from the controls?
Make sure you have the default action set to Ask and not Remove in the settings (Options->Designer)
Default Action Missing Event.png
Default Action Missing Event.png (25.5 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
Please list any steps you take so that we can recreate these issues on our end.

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.

davidc

Post by davidc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:53 pm

Also be careful not to place event scriptblocks within other scriptblocks or functions.

David
David

robert.ganshorn

Post by robert.ganshorn » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:45 pm

davidc wrote:Please answer the following questions:

1. What build of PowerShell Studio 2016 do you have installed?
2. Do you have a psf file that demonstrations the deleting events? Is it deleting the events from the script or just the references from the controls?
Make sure you have the default action set to Ask and not Remove in the settings (Options->Designer)
Default Action Missing Event.png
Please list any steps you take so that we can recreate these issues on our end.

David
Whatever the latest version of 2016 is. The problem with disappearing events started when I upgraded to 2015 as I'm not sure I ever had it happen with 2012. Yes, I do have it set to delete events and not prompt because I have many events in my scripts. I just had it happen again where most of the events in a script have suddenly disappeared while I was editing the script. Perhaps a typo in the script makes the editor think that the event block is gone and therefore it deletes it?

Disabling the prompt should not be as destructive as it appears it can be. Maybe it should not prompt on removing one event, but do so if it's removing many as that may be unintentional.

Rob

robert.ganshorn

Post by robert.ganshorn » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:50 pm

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (22.99 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
Can't add this event, button remains greyed out.

Rob

davidc

Post by davidc » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Please post the exact version number because "latest version" is a relative term and the version may change overnight.

If you have it set to Ask, you will know if something is about to change and you have the option to ignore, remove or add. Otherwise if you have to set to auto-remove can run into trouble because it will change without notice and you might not catch it in time.
Missing Event.png
Missing Event.png (20.42 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
I'm unable to recreate the button issue with v5.2.118.

David
David