"No output from heat" when building MSI

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 9 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
goliska

"No output from heat" when building MSI

Post by goliska »

I must be a complete idiot.

When i've built an .EXE out of my ps2014 forms-project, I want to build an MSI, the Settings-dialogue seems to be aware of the EXE, (Packed executable) is already included. And I can't drag and drop any other EXE from Explorer to that window neither.

when I build the MSI I just get Error: no input from Heat.
What am I missing?
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: "No output from heat" when building MSI

Post by davidc »

What version of PowerShell Studio do you have installed?

The drag and drop issue was address in the last service build.

As for the error message, we will have to investigate.

Can you zip and email the project's psbuild file to support@sapien.com.

Thank you,

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
goliska

Post by goliska »

Bought it and installed it today, so 4.1.61.

works on my home laptop but not my corporate one, both are win8.1 x64 and had got powershellstudio 2012 uninstalled just before the installation.

sent an empty project as requested.

Since my corp. machine has redirected folders I tried to save the project on the local drive but that wasn't it.
PGomersall

Post by PGomersall »

ivarson,
I have some very similar (i.e. peculiar) behavior with PSS when user has redirected folders. I have had to set EnableLinkedConnections in the HKLM registry.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... s.10).aspx
This describes what you have to set. I have to set this on W7\8\8.1 with any install of PSS when user has redirected folders.
Regards,
Pete
goliska

Post by goliska »

I know about linked connections, I made our organization distribute it onto hundreds of machines through gpo, but perhaps that was in a gpo specific for Windows 7 then. Nevertheless, I tried creating the project on D:/ without success? And AFAIK I'm not receiving any requests for elevation in any situation so it seems odd that linkedconnections being off is causing it. Is there any part of Powershell Studio running in another scope /with another token?

Will try this tonight, thanks
PGomersall

Post by PGomersall »

Problems I have is with installation of PSS when user has redirected folders. Obviously the installer uses msiexec and if Linked Connections are not set it just bombs out. I don't know how PSS builds the msi but it may be a similar situation.
Pete
goliska

Post by goliska »

LinkedConnections was already enabled.

thanks anyway.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

The No Heat output usually means that the temporary files could be created. Make sure you set the Output folder of the MSI settings is set to a path that exists and that the application has write permission.

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
goliska

Post by goliska »

davidc wrote:The No Heat output usually means that the temporary files could be created. Make sure you set the Output folder of the MSI settings is set to a path that exists and that the application has write permission.

David
I've moved my project along with the msi output dir. to several local directories without success, also tried starting pss as admin w/o success.

i can create files and folders via the integrated psconsole at my temp-location as well as my project directory.

are there any prereqs for an MSI to build?
goliska

Post by goliska »

ive emailed you a trace from process monitor.. http://technet.microsoft.com/sv-se/sysi ... 96645.aspx

trying to interpret it now but you guys are probably more likely to find some clues, if any
This topic is 9 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.