Working with remotes using git for source control

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 2 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
akincer

Working with remotes using git for source control

Post by akincer »

Product, version and build: Powershell Studio 2021 build 5.8.196
Operating system: Windows 10
PowerShell version(s): N/A

I'm trying to use git for source control with a remote and push/pull in the Source Control menu gives an authentication error while the git GUI and shell ask for a password and are successfully able to work with the remote. Am I missing something that will allow the Source Control to successfully authenticate with the remote system?
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Re: Working with remotes using git for source control

Post by brittneyr »

As of build 5.8.196, PowerShell Studio does not prompt for credentials when pushing/pulling from remote repositories.

If the credentials for your remote repository are saved in Windows Credential Manager, this should work without issue. If this does not work for you, I recommend pushing using the Git GUI or shell. We will see what we can do to improve this behavior.
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
akincer

Post by akincer »

Manually inputting the credentials to the target server via IP, username and password did not work. I will say that company provided security software and settings might be interfering but it's difficult to know. Is there anything special needed to format the credentials? The git server is just a stock Ubuntu 20.04 install. If not I'll check with internal groups on the issue. Not sure relying on that mechanism without options is ideal though.
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Post by brittneyr »

You may find the following link helpful:
https://dirask.com/posts/Git-save-passw ... ows-gp52xj
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
akincer

Post by akincer »

No the information on that page doesn't work as expected at all. I'm sure it's due to company provided security tools. Relying on such mechanisms probably works for most folks. It does not with the security tools and settings we're using which are quite rigorous.
This topic is 2 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.