Error with P/S7.1.3 (Forms) EXE's running "error executing script"

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 2 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
DWASdeveloper

Error with P/S7.1.3 (Forms) EXE's running "error executing script"

Post by DWASdeveloper »

To help you better we need some information from you.

*** Please fill in the fields below. If you leave fields empty or specify 'latest' rather than the actual version your answer will be delayed as we will be forced to ask you for this information. ***

PowerShell version(s): 7.1.3

Product: PowerShell Studio 2021 (64 Bit)
Build: v5.8.188
Build: v10.0.19042.0

*** Please add details and screenshots as needed below. ***

DO NOT POST LICENSES, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM

Updated to the above release and updated to PowerShell 7.1.3 on dev and test machines, I can no longer run the EXE / via MSI deployment on my test machines . I am to run the application on my development machine via PowerShell Studio.
On the Test Machines i either the GUI is never displayed on screen, or I get an error saying "error executing script"
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Error with P/S7.1.3 (Forms) EXE's running "error executing script"

Post by Alexander Riedel »

What is the PowerShell version on your test machines?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
DWASdeveloper

Post by DWASdeveloper »

Both Machine are Identical with the above OS and PS versions
P/S 7.1.3

We have tested on a number of Windows 10 machines within our team they all do the same thing...

The only thing is the dev machine was P/S 7.1.0 and updated to PS 7.1.3 our test machines are spun up on demand
Alexander Riedel

I cannot determine if you are saying that
a) packaged executables run on the development machine but not on the test machines
b) or packaged executable don't run anywhere but you can execute your forms app from within PowerShell Studio
c) or nothing runs anywhere

You have also not expressly stated if "the EXE" is packaged for PowerShell 7.1.3 or something else.
Additionally you mention problems with MSI deployment leaving it unclear if the MSI does not install or the installed exe is not running.

"On the Test Machines i either the GUI is never displayed on screen, or I get an error saying "error executing script""
These would indicate completely different types of problems. If the exe does not start at all, there would be a system log entry.
If it starts but does nothing, there would be a hanging process
If it displays the error you mentioned, it means the PowerShell engine threw a fatal exception, which also would be in your system log.

Additionally, since you didn't mention anything about that, please indicate if the .NET Core desktop framework is installed on the non-operating machines and if so, what version.
It should be 5.0 at a minimum.
Alexander Riedel
DWASdeveloper

Post by DWASdeveloper »

a) packaged executables run on the development machine but not on the test machines (Correct)
I can package the application via the Package deplorer exe and then build a MSI and Install and run my application on the dev machine where PowerShell Studio is installed

When I deploy this MSI to our test machines we get an error popup screen saying "error executing script" (We have three build machines the team uses for our build process and all package correctly but each of the msi packages from these build machines all give the same error result when installed on other like machines

We have looked at the System logs and there are no entries or errors been logged on the test machines...

You have also not expressly stated if "the EXE" is packaged for PowerShell 7.1.3 or something else. (The application exe is all 7.1.3 forms)

Additionally you mention problems with MSI deployment leaving it unclear if the MSI does not install or the installed exe is not running. (The application is packaged into MSI and this MSI is used to deploy on the test machines

If the exe does not start at all, there would be a system log entry. ( No there are no logging of any events)

Preinstalls on test machines are as follows:
PowerShell 7.1.3 x64 Runtime.exe
PowerShell-7.1.3-win-x64.msi
windowsdesktop-runtime-5.0.3-win-x64.exe
DWASdeveloper

Post by DWASdeveloper »

"Additionally you mention problems with MSI deployment leaving it unclear if the MSI does not install or the installed exe is not running"
To add more info ..

The MSI from out build machines is used on the test machines the MSI deploys fine and there is no issue with this that we can find.

When we execute the application exe then we get the popup error message form ... Its really quick in showing up...
DWASdeveloper

Post by DWASdeveloper »

Problem solved (Sorry)
Writing the last reply I thought I just check if there was a new version of the .Net 5 runtime ... Sure enough there is
windowsdesktop-runtime-5.0.5-win-x64

Application run fine ... Sorry for the hassle still getting to grips with all these version alignment issues ..
Alexander Riedel

If you have PowerShell 7.1.3 itself installed, you do not need to install the 7.1.3 runtime.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 2 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.