PowerShell 7 Forms application still require Net Core on Windows 7 even with PowerShell 7.0.3 x64 Runtime installed

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 3 years and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
ALIENQuake
Has voted: 4 times

PowerShell 7 Forms application still require Net Core on Windows 7 even with PowerShell 7.0.3 x64 Runtime installed

Post by ALIENQuake »

Hello,

I've created PowerShell 7 Forms test application. When I deployed it on Windows 7, it still require Net Core even with PowerShell 7.0.3 x64 Runtime is installed.

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2020 (64 Bit) v5.7.181
Operating system: Windows 7 SP1
Zrzut ekranu 2020-09-29 165217.png
Zrzut ekranu 2020-09-29 165217.png (296.6 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: PowerShell 7 Forms application still require Net Core on Windows 7 even with PowerShell 7.0.3 x64 Runtime installed

Post by Alexander Riedel »

The runtime decouples the packaged executable from the installed specific PowerShell 7 version, not from the .NET Core runtime. Two different things.
Additionally I have to point out that Windows 7 is not a supported platform anymore.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
ALIENQuake
Has voted: 4 times

Re: PowerShell 7 Forms application still require Net Core on Windows 7 even with PowerShell 7.0.3 x64 Runtime installed

Post by ALIENQuake »

Two things to adress here:
Alexander Riedel wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:10 am The runtime decouples the packaged executable from the installed specific PowerShell 7 version, not from the .NET Core runtime. Two different things.
Got it. May I ask if the there is a posiblility for additional "SAPIEN PowerShell Runtime" which has 'Self-Contained' version with NET Core included?
Alexander Riedel wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:10 am Additionally I have to point out that Windows 7 is not a supported platform anymore.
While I understand the requirements of PowerShell Studio itself (and I use Win 10 for creating apps), does the OS support policy also applies to "SAPIEN PowerShell Runtime"? So I can't use it on Windows 7 and still receive support?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Quite unlikely, I am afraid. It creates enough problems for us to wade through each new PowerShell Core version, determine if it works at all and what specifically works and what not, create new packager targets, a new runtime etc. Doing the same for new .NET runtime versions would make the products quite a bit more expensive, since we would have to hire additional engineers just to test this and keep on top of that.
Additionally it would slow down release and maintenance cycles.

The "PowerShell Runtime", as explained elsewhere, is nothing but a stripped version of PowerShell Core. Unmodified otherwise. It is still a Microsoft thing and has absolutely no dependency on our products.
It is simply created for the convenience of our customers, so you do not have to sync all your computers to the same PowerShell Core version and stay at that because of one single tool which may not have been repackaged yet. We have made sure that, unlike PowerShell 7, different versions are in distinct folders so they can coexist. If any particular PowerShell Core version runs on Windows 7, so will the runtime we repackage. If it doesn't, then we cannot change that.

As for Windows 7 support in general, we do not test on Windows 7 anymore for quite a while now. Neither the products nor packaged executables. They are quite likely to work and if it would happen that a customer runs into an issue, we would be happy to look and see if there is an easy fix. We would of course not make anything incompatible with a current Windows version just to accommodate an unsupported, older version.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 3 years and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.