PowerShell Cache Editor - PS Version Dropdown

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
gulmiguel

PowerShell Cache Editor - PS Version Dropdown

Post by gulmiguel »

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2019, Build 5.6.170
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64-bit
Operating system: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit

*** Please add details and screenshots as needed below. ***

Good morning fellow PSers:

I'm back with a new inquiry (or should I say sub-query) regarding the PowerShell Cache Editor. You members were extremely helpful (possibly life-saving) with the knowledge that you shared regarding the Cache Editor. I need your help now with something that seems to be quite puzzling. When I was configuring the cache editor by checking the latest versions of modules in the list, I noticed a very important aspect of performing that build. I missed it when I last was here, but now it's standing out like a sore thumb:
Sapien Build Cache Screen PS Version.jpg
Sapien Build Cache Screen PS Version.jpg (124.56 KiB) Viewed 4237 times
The cache dropdown allows you to choose which PS version you're planning to use. As you can see, there are choices of 32 or 64 bit versions of PowerShell v2 and PowerShell v5. Since my current versions are Core v6 and Preview v7, I was wondering how I would go about getting those choices into the dropdown list. I realize that there's probably a caveat that comes with that. After all, "Core" as awesome as it is, it is a subset form of PowerShell. (There is no plain PowerShell v6. At least that's what I thought. If there is a 'full' v6 version, please correct me.)
new
Anyway, I wanted to adjust the build cache dropdown to include v6. I chose the option, "Add new PowerShell version" and found this box:
Sapien Build Cache Screen PS Version_sub.jpg
Sapien Build Cache Screen PS Version_sub.jpg (120.24 KiB) Viewed 4237 times
I didn't fully understand what I was seeing, but I clicked on "New version:" to see what my next step would be. Well, here goes:
Sapien Build Cache Screen PS Version_sub_sub.jpg
Sapien Build Cache Screen PS Version_sub_sub.jpg (128.72 KiB) Viewed 4237 times
Now I'm fully dazed and confused. The only "new" versions are those listed. But where is Core-v6 (or Preview-v7 for that matter)? I can't seem to determine why those other versions are not showing. They show up just fine in the version selector drop down in the main toolbar and the drop-down header on the console, but not in this cache editor box.

If I use "deductive reasoning", I would conclude that the ability to 'edit cache' is NOT available in the "Core" versions. However, I can't find any documentation anywhere to support that hypothesis (or disprove it).

Can someone please reassure me that I'm not bananas and let me know if this is all true? It would be embarassing (again) to learn that what I'm searching for is quite simply located. However, I'll take that chance because I need to start making a commitment to a specific version. I've tried to avoid using the "Core" versions because of the module [cmdlet] issue. I'd like to commit to a full version, but I need to know which versions are full (or preview version that's full). If none, then I'll just have to get used to using v5 full and be happy with it.

Thanks in advance for enlightening me again.

Miguel
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: PowerShell Cache Editor - PS Version Dropdown

Post by Alexander Riedel »

PowerShell Core is not supported in the cache builder. As it does not, or better did not support any GUI library it was not really a target for PowerShell Studio.
The editor will use whatever V5 has for intellisense when using V6.
We will entirely rework this for PowerShell 7, as this once again supports GUI development and is bound to be an integral part of Windows again.
Unfortunately, until that is truly released there is simply not enough stability to start supporting it.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
gulmiguel

Post by gulmiguel »

Many thanks Alexander - deeply appreciate the info.
gulmiguel

Post by gulmiguel »

Hey gang:

This is just an FYI. Microsoft recently released its "RC" version of PowerShell 7. I was curious about whether or not there was going to be a new GUI with this version since we haven't had one since v5. It also concerned me since PS Core generally doesn't have ALL the cmdlets that a 'regular' PowerShell has. So I posted an inquiry on their GitHub forum about this and here's what i was told:

"PowerShell 7 (aka PowerShell Core) is new generation of PowerShell. It works on Windows, MacOs and some Unix-s.
All new features will be added only to PowerShell Core, not to Windows PowerShell (it is frozen). We've not had a new GUI since version 5.

We had. VS Code has an extension with PowerShell Core support. It supports syntax highlighting, references, debugging and more
https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShellEditorServices

In last year we get many modules being compatible with PowerShell Core from MSFT and community. In next year I'd expect that most of popular modules will be ported to PowerShell Core if not jet."

I'm learning to be OK with this; primarily because PowerShell Studio exists. Actually, I'm pleased because the whole darn Sapien DevOps Suite exists. But I don't want to get off track here (as I often do :D ). You folks here in the forum have always been there for me as I panic regarding functions that PSS 2019 does, but I'm not always familiar with. I'd love to see a new book come out for the entire suite. Some of you may recall Jeff Holder's 2016 book PowerShell Studio: A Comprehensive Guide. Are there any chances that a book for the new 2019 version will be made; or perhaps better put, a 2020 book to go with the new 2020 suite when released?

I just wanted to let folks know about the new PS release and what it represents. Basically, I'm expecting that new development for the IDE will come from Sapien; along with further integration with the entire DevOps suite. I'm actually happy because now I will not have to worry about which IDE to use when I'm continuing my studies and scripting. Now my focus can be entirely on how new releases work with Sapien because I won't be missing out on anything. You guys are the BEST!!

PS - I'm really serious about any projects involving a new book; whether it's just PowerShell Studio or the entire suite. If there are any opportunities to contribute to its development, please let me know. It's the least I can do to give back what Sapien has given to me; a new love of scripting /development. Overall, you've inspired me to move forward not just into PowerShell, but the entire DevOps Engineer role.

That's enough noise from me. Hope everyone had a Merry Xmas and may you continue to be Blessed in the coming New Year.

LLAP 🖖,
Miguel
gulmiguel

Post by gulmiguel »

Hey gang:

This is just an FYI. Microsoft recently released its "RC" version of PowerShell 7. I was curious about whether or not there was going to be a new GUI with this version since we haven't had one since v5. It also concerned me since PS Core generally doesn't have ALL the cmdlets that a 'regular' PowerShell has. So I posted an inquiry on their GitHub forum about this and here's what i was told:

"PowerShell 7 (aka PowerShell Core) is new generation of PowerShell. It works on Windows, MacOs and some Unix-s.
All new features will be added only to PowerShell Core, not to Windows PowerShell (it is frozen). We've not had a new GUI since version 5.

We had. VS Code has an extension with PowerShell Core support. It supports syntax highlighting, references, debugging and more

In last year we get many modules being compatible with PowerShell Core from MSFT and community. In next year I'd expect that most of popular modules will be ported to PowerShell Core if not jet."

I'm learning to be OK with this; primarily because PowerShell Studio exists. Actually, I'm pleased because the whole darn Sapien DevOps Suite exists. But I don't want to get off track here (as I often do :D ). You folks here in the forum have always been there for me as I panic regarding functions that PSS 2019 does, but I'm not always familiar with. I'd love to see a new book come out for the entire suite. Some of you may recall Jeff Holder's 2016 book PowerShell Studio: A Comprehensive Guide. Are there any chances that a book for the new 2019 version will be made; or perhaps better put, a 2020 book to go with the new 2020 suite when released?

I just wanted to let folks know about the new PS release and what it represents. Basically, I'm expecting that new development for the IDE will come from Sapien; along with further integration with the entire DevOps suite. I'm actually happy because now I will not have to worry about which IDE to use when I'm continuing my studies and scripting. Now my focus can be entirely on how new releases work with Sapien because I won't be missing out on anything. You guys are the BEST!!

PS - I'm really serious about any projects involving a new book; whether it's just PowerShell Studio or the entire suite. If there are any opportunities to contribute to its development, please let me know. It's the least I can do to give back what Sapien has given to me; a new love of scripting /development. Overall, you've inspired me to move forward not just into PowerShell, but the entire DevOps Engineer role.

That's enough noise from me. Hope everyone had a Merry Xmas and may you continue to be Blessed in the coming New Year.

LLAP 🖖,
Miguel
gulmiguel

Post by gulmiguel »

Hey gang:

LLAP 🖖,
Miguel
gulmiguel

Post by gulmiguel »

Apologies for the multiple postings of the same message. I was receiving an error each time I tried to submit. According to the error message, it was some type of [sqlli] error. I'm going to assume that our moderator may be able to track that down and remove my duplicate posts. Again, please accept my apologies; just another noob error I suppose.
This topic is 4 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.