Assembly Files Explained and Most Commonly Used

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
shiroscout

Assembly Files Explained and Most Commonly Used

Post by shiroscout »

Hello,

Can someone give me information on Assembly files?
In PSS there is an option to add files.

I am just wondering for building forms what are the most commonly used? I've seen the Windows Presentation files often.
I am trying to understand if the most common Assembly files should be put in files as a general rule and then add others if needed?

I haven't been able to find an explanation ( without being overly complex ) of what they are, what they do (EG: Windows Presentation Assembly files help do/allow this)

I'm not lazy usually and can read, so any website references are good. I do not like MS website for tech ref info though as it usually does not explain things well for me.
Sorry for being so green, but that's just the way that it is. :mrgreen:
Thank You,

Wayne
shiroscout

Re: Assembly Files Explained and Most Commonly Used

Post by shiroscout »

I have been reading at Microsoft and I am trying to grasp the differences of .Net Core, .Net FW, and what each supports.
I realize I mentioned the Presentation Assemblies and those are apparently WPF files and not WinForms Assembly files.
Thank You,

Wayne
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

Assemblies (*.dll) are reusable libraries of code for .NET. Generally, you will not need to deal with assemblies directly. The option is there so users can load custom assemblies that are not part of .NET and it allows PowerShell Studio to provide PrimalSense for the custom types defined in the assembly.

Normally you will load assemblies directly in PowerShell by using the Add-Type cmdlet:
  1. Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms
PowerShell Studio will detect this and provide PrimalSense support for the objects.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
shiroscout

Post by shiroscout »

David,

Thank you.
Yes, I see out of the box that all my forms seem to be working.
I am new to PowerShell and coding with C#, Winforms so I'll not add any assemblies and make more variables for errors as the learning curve is hard enough.

Thank you again, Wayne
Thank You,

Wayne
This topic is 4 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.