Windows Service Autostart, but do not start at end of instal

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
cawg_it

Windows Service Autostart, but do not start at end of instal

Post by cawg_it »

To help you better we need some information from you.

*** Please fill in the fields below. If you leave fields empty or specify 'latest' rather than the actual version your answer will be delayed as we will be forced to ask you for this information. ***

Product, version and build: 5.6.162
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64
Operating system: Windows
32 or 64 bit OS: 64

How do I install a service via the MSI, have the flag set to auto start but not start the service at the end of the MSI installation. My service requires a config file update before starting. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Windows Service Autostart, but do not start at end of instal

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Depends on how that config file gets created or installed.
Is this installed with your service? Or is there a user tool that creates this config file?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
cawg_it

Post by cawg_it »

The service does create the config with default values if it doesnt already exist. But the point is I do not want the service to START at the end of the MSI install. I DO want it flagged as autostart in the service setup, but I want to provide the user the ability to modify the config file and let them manuall start it the first time after installing the service. Please note the config file is consumed by the service to set some parameters for what it will be monitoring. I am using the standard Powershell studio deploy installer to create the MSI, but there is NO SETTING to tell it to just install the service flagged with autostart but DO NOT have the MSI installer start the service (that is what I dont want to happen) Make sense?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Yeah, I am not sure at the moment if WiX has a setting for autostart but not start, but I will look int it.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
cawg_it

Post by cawg_it »

Would seem that if there was an option for NONE here it might do the trick.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/948k4i4j04sxy ... e.PNG?dl=0
Last edited by cawg_it on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
cawg_it

Post by cawg_it »

Or a checkbox to tell it not to add the start/stop lines at all
This topic is 4 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.