multiple executable in an msi package not installed in menu and & to execute

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
jsira2003@yahoo.com

multiple executable in an msi package not installed in menu and & to execute

Post by jsira2003@yahoo.com »

In my msi package that I am creating I want 3 executables from 3 different apps. Only one shows up in the windows program menu. I am wondering if there is a way to correct or adjust this? I thought that it would just add each executable as an additional menu item for the same program since it is part of the same .msi package.

Once i installed my program with the msi package and in put it under c:\program files (x86) the & no longer works to start a video or an executable. I suspect a permissions issue possibly. Do you have any ideas?

thanks,
John
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: multiple executable in an msi package not installed in menu and & to execute

Post by davidc »

At this time the MSI builder only generates a single shortcut for the selected file. I recommend submitting a feature request here:

https://www.sapien.com/support/upload

Potentially, you could write a custom PowerShell script that creates the shortcuts and have that run as a custom action. For details about custom action, refer to the following article:

https://www.sapien.com/blog/2018/02/26/ ... i-builder/
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
jsira2003@yahoo.com

Re: multiple executable in an msi package not installed in menu and & to execute

Any thought about why my & would not work after being packaged and installed in c:\program files (x86) with running my videos or executables? Is there a better way to execute these actions? This did work for me prior to creating a package.

thanks,
John
davidc

Post by davidc »

There can be a few factors involved:

1. Make sure you are including the config files.
2. Check the platform of the executables match the of PowerShell Studio's ribbon (Home->Platform).
3. Check your script. Any code to get the directory of a script might not work in a packager environment. I recommend using the Get-ScriptDirectory function (getscriptdirectory snippet), which works in scripts and in packaged executables.
David
jsira2003@yahoo.com

I did set-location c:\program files (x86) ...

I found that if I launch my app like & $(".\app.exe") it works perfectly! If I add the full path before it, it does not work. I guess and correct me if I am wrong, if i default the location to the app path, i should be able to get away with .\app.exe.

It is working great! I suspect there may be some caveats here. I am switching between set-location sqlserver: and set-location $global:installPath. The global path is the actually path where the program got installed in c:\program files (x86)... by the .msi package.

thanks perhaps I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

John
davidc

Post by davidc »

I'm glad to hear you are able to make some progress. Paths are a common source of contention in packaged executes and in scripts in general.
David
This topic is 5 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.