Import Cache w/o Remote Execution

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
PS_Systems

Import Cache w/o Remote Execution

Post by PS_Systems »

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2019
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64
Operating system: Windows Server 2016
32 or 64 bit OS: 64

Day two with PowerShell Studio :) I am looking to develop some GUIs for running Citrix 7 PowerShell commands. I am developing on my 2016 Server (no Citrix modules/snapins installed). I have watched the video on importing cache files from the target server - very cool. My question is two fold: Can I just export/import the cache from the Citrix server w/o enabling remote sessions - develop locally but actually run on the server? Secondly, will the exported cache contain the Citrix snapins that I want to use, or will I need to install them on my development server?

Thanks in advance!
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Import Cache w/o Remote Execution

Post by davidc »

Welcome!

In order to export the cache, you need to run the CacheExport tool on the server. You can find the tool in the installation folder of PowerShell Studio under Redistributes:

C:\Program Files\SAPIEN Technologies, Inc\PowerShell Studio 2019\Redistributables\CacheExport2019.zip

The CacheExport tool requires the Visual Studio C++ runtimes to be installed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

As for installing modules:
You will still need to install the modules/snapins if you wish to run the scripts locally. The benefit of using the cache is that it allows you to write scripts for those modules even when they are not installed locally.

For more details, please refer to the following articles:

https://www.sapien.com/blog/2018/09/20/powershell-studio-working-with-remote-systems-part-1/
https://www.sapien.com/blog/2018/09/24/powershell-studio-working-with-remote-systems-part-2/

And no, you do not need to enable remoting to use the external cache.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask us.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 5 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.