Powershell Studio Throws "Access Is Denied" on startup

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
RobHydell

Powershell Studio Throws "Access Is Denied" on startup

Post by RobHydell »

Product, version and build: 5.2.123.0
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64bit
Operating system: Windows 7 Enterprise 6.1 (Build 7601 SP 1)
32 or 64 bit OS: 64 bit

When loading powershell studio it displays the splash screen and then fails with the message "Access is denied" (see image). This was just installed and has never worked for me. I tried uninstalling / reinstalling it a few times.
AccessIsDenied.png
AccessIsDenied.png (37.33 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Powershell Studio Throws "Access Is Denied" on startup

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Looks like the application cannot open its own process.
What .NET framework is installed?
Do other .NET applications work? (If you don't know, install a PowerShell HelpWriter trial)
Last but not least, are you running as a restricted user? Did you try run as admin?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
RobHydell

Post by RobHydell »

Thanks for the response.

.NET 4.7.0.2558
Yes other .NET applications work
Yes running as a restricted user but I thought this might be the problem as well and run it elevated with admin and as admin and both still give the same error.
I should also note I had my machine rebuilt as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

In the next service release, we added safety checks to catch any access denied exceptions. Hopefully it will help, but PowerShell Studio requires the necessary permissions to access its own process or child processes in order to function correctly.
David
RobHydell

Post by RobHydell »

When running as administrator and separately in the administrators group I got the same errors. Do you know what elevated rights it's looking for? This is a corporate installation and cannot be given admin rights permanently.

Thanks
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

Please try the latest service release (v5.5.155) and let us know if you are still getting the popups.
David
RobHydell

Post by RobHydell »

Unfortunately I am unable to use a different version as I have to use the pre-approved and packaged version of the application.
This topic is 5 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.