copyright a powershell application

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
jsira2003@yahoo.com

copyright a powershell application

Post by jsira2003@yahoo.com »

I need to copyright one of my applications which contains 3 programs. I need to create a text file for each application that could be read by the copyright office. I tried to export a program and just obtained encrypted code.

How can I export the programming text for the entire program in readable format. I want it to be in a .txt file. It would be fine If I can export it one application at a time.

Based on the info a got from the company doing my copyright, I believe this is the way I must go about it.

Thank you,
John
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: copyright a powershell application

Post by davidc »

You can export a project script via Ribbon->Deploy->Export to File:
Export to File.png
Export to File.png (37.18 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
It is safe to remove the recovery data comments for your purpose.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
jsira2003@yahoo.com

I did that and it was unreadable. Is there a way to make it readable? I did exactly that and it was of no value.

There should be a way to export readable text.

John
davidc

Post by davidc »

Can you clarify what do you mean by unreadable? That is the exact same code that is ran when the script is packaged.

By default, there are recovery comments that contain encoded data. You can remove those manually or disable the recovery option before exporting in Options->Designer->Embed recovery data in exported scripts:
Embed Recovery Data.png
Embed Recovery Data.png (55.2 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
David
jsira2003@yahoo.com

To copyright the code I would assume they would need to be able to read the code just like I can read it when I create it. They want it in a text file. The export is mostly encrypted text. How can you copyright something which is not legible?

When an author copyrights a book, it has to be readable. The same with the program code.

John
davidc

Post by davidc »

The exported script is plain text. All you have to do is rename the ps1 to txt.

If there is encoded data, it is used for embedded binary information (never code) such as images and icons which are used by GUIs or for recover information which I covered above on how to disable it.
David
davidc

Post by davidc »

This is what the recovery blocks looks like:
Recovery Block.png
Recovery Block.png (30.68 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
They are always wrapped in a recovery region. You can remove these safely.
David
jsira2003@yahoo.com

I will give it a try tonight.

Thank you very much!

John
This topic is 5 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.