print screen no longer works in screenspresso after starting my script form

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
jsira2003@yahoo.com

print screen no longer works in screenspresso after starting my script form

Post by jsira2003@yahoo.com »

I thought it was screenspresso. However it appears it may be my powershell studio app that is causing my print screen key to no longer function. Do you have any ideas why this could be happening? It seems like the only app where my print screen doesn't function is my powershell studio app.

thanks,
John
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: print screen no longer works in screenspresso after starting my script form

Post by davidc »

Check if you are using the same key combo in your GUI. Unfortunately, I can't provide any help with Screenspresso itself and I would recommend contacting the vendor.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
jsira2003@yahoo.com

the screenspresso works find before launching my script and after exiting my script. The key will not activate screenspresso while my script is running. It sounds like a configuration option in the script. Is there anything you can do in a form that will prevent a key from working in another app which is currently running?

John
davidc

Post by davidc »

I don't know what you are doing in your GUI, so it is hard to tell what is happening.

1. Is the script running in packaged executable or is it running directly from PowerShell Studio?
2. What is the key combo? Just the Print screen button?

If the window is active, it processes the keyboard messages, thus potentially preventing the message from reaching the capture application.

3. Does the key work if the script GUI is not focused or the top window?
David
jsira2003@yahoo.com

The Script runs from an executable. The print screen button is the trigger to start and stop the recording. I tried to change the focus by click on the desktop. Unfortunately this did not help. The print screen does not stop the recording.

I close the script and all functions normally. It has to be something the script is doing as you said preventing the processing of key strokes from the other app.

Is there a way to prevent the powershell script from using that print screen key so that it can be recognized by the other app when pressed?

frustrating!

Thanks,

John
davidc

Post by davidc »

Quite frankly I'm not sure why it would do that. There isn't anything in the generated GUI script that would block Print Screen presses. Try using a different host or the console. It could also be an OS related issue.

We use a different screen capture product and at some point, they switched the capture from [Print Screen] button to [Shift + Print Screen]. I suspect they had a good reason to do so. Try reassigning the trigger button to see what happens.
David
davidc

Post by davidc »

You can also try creating an empty form and see if that prevents the screen capture.
David
jsira2003@yahoo.com

Well I created a blank empty form and that works as expected. It is just my powershell app that is killing the print screen key. It appears that it is the app and I would say this has occurred in the last 2 weeks.

I will compare the settings in the test app vs. my app.

John
jsira2003@yahoo.com

The icing on the cake!

I changed the name of my psproj files and executable. Now everything works as expected?

Why did this make a difference?

It doesn't make sense to me.

thanks,
John
davidc

Post by davidc »

Windows looks at special keywords in executable names and treats them differently. For example, it treats executables with "Install" in the name as if it were an installer even if it isn't. Doesn't make sense to me either.
David
This topic is 5 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.