32 Bit EXE not running on some 64 Bit systems

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
cdouglas_nch

32 Bit EXE not running on some 64 Bit systems

Post by cdouglas_nch »

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2018 5.5.152
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64 bit
Operating system: Windows 10 1703
32 or 64 bit OS: 64 bit

For some of my projects I'll build them as 32-bit even if they're going to run on 64-bit systems. This allows me to not have to worry about ensuring that a 64-bit EXE runs on 64-bit systems, and a 32-bit EXE runs on 32-bit systems. I've been doing this for years with no problems, until recently when I shared a 32-bit EXE with another division of my organization, which for all purposes of troubleshooting should be considered another company. In their environment when one of my 32-bit EXE's run on their 64-bit Windows 7 x64 Enterprise systems, Task Manager shows the process for a second, then it disappears.

Any idea what would cause this? Is there a pre-req or setting I'm unaware of? They're running PS 4.0, and the script engine I'm using is V3. I don't have anything configured under Execution Restrictions -> Operating Systems.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: 32 Bit EXE not running on some 64 Bit systems

Post by Alexander Riedel »

If the process starts as you indicated it is not a matter of the exe not running.
You do not mention what exact engine you select when packaging, so I do not know where the error, if any, would show up.
First step would be to package a simple hello world app with a command line engine and run that on the target computer from a console.
That should give you some clue if the exe runs or if you see any error message.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
cdouglas_nch

Post by cdouglas_nch »

I stated that I used the V3 script engine. I guess I left out that I'm using the 'Windows Forms' one.

I'll create a basic V3 Command line EXE and see what happens.
cdouglas_nch

Post by cdouglas_nch »

Thanks for the suggestion. Rather than creating a basic script, I simply switched the script engine to Command Line on my project and ran the 32-bit EXE produced from that. It quickly pointed to the issue, which was the 32-bit PowerShell Execution Policy was set to Restricted. :| Face palm moment right here.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Don't worry. It happens to all of us :D
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 5 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.