PowerShell Cache Builder High Memory/CPU Usage

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
XxQuaDxX

PowerShell Cache Builder High Memory/CPU Usage

Post by XxQuaDxX »

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2018 v5.5.152
32 or 64 bit version of product: x64bit
Operating system: Windows 10 Enterprise
32 or 64 bit OS: x64bit

Yesterday I got prompted to input my registration information for SAPIEN since it said my license had expired (it hadn't). Now I am having PowerShell Cache Builder use over half of my computers memory 5GB/8GB and 30%~ of my CPU at all times. This seems to be happening while PSS is open or closed. I kill the process and it comes back and does the same thing, even if PSS is not opened. I went into PSS and tried to rebuild the cache to see if that would fix it but it has no effect. Any suggestions?
PSS_High_Mem.png
PSS_High_Mem.png (10.73 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: PowerShell Cache Builder High Memory/CPU Usage

Post by Alexander Riedel »

The Cachebuilder process gets started when it is detected that the cache is out of date, the product gets re-installed or, as you did, instruct PowerShell Studio to rebuild the cache.
As the name 'cachebuilder' implies, that is what it does.
Since it has to load every single module installed on your system and extract it's meta data and store it, it can take some time, depending on how many modules you have installed.
Normally modules with versions that are already known to PowerShell Studio are not loaded, the existing meta data is used.
Some modules have a very large number of cmdlets (see AWS for example) and some modules do heavy initialization when loaded, which can cause extra CPU load.

Killing that process will just make sure it gets started again at the next opportunity. So just let it finish and it will be fine.
If you are concerned about the length of time it takes, examine the number number of modules you have on your system.
Feel free to post a list of your modules here if you need help with that.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 5 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.