WIX error on build

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 5 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

WIX error on build

Post by jvierra »

Product, version and build:
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64
Operating system: Windows 10
32 or 64 bit OS: 64

On a simple build of default forms file the EXE builds but the MSI fails to generate:

heat.exe : warning HEAT5150 : Could not harvest data from a file that was expected to be a SelfReg DLL: D:\testjunk\MSI_BuildFolder\TestBuild.exe. If this file does not support SelfReg you can ignore this warning. Otherwise, this error detail may be helpful to diagnose the failure: Unable to load file: D:\testjunk\MSI_BuildFolder\TestBuild.exe, error: 193
Attachments
heatout.wix.txt
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: WIX error on build

Post by Alexander Riedel »

The Wix error message can be misleading. Generally this type of error indicates that the file specified does not exist or is not accessible. Possible not in the location expected.
Check that TestBuild.exe exists (where?) and that your folder has write permissions. Can the MSI_BuildFolder directory be created?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

The WIX file I attached should show that and the folders are all writable. There is an MSI_Build folder that does not exist anywhere. I created the folder and now it copies the EXE and config files to the build folder and throws the same error.

What SelfREG DLL can it be referencing? I searched and could find many references to this error but none, including the WIX forums, have any suggested solutions or any causes.

???
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

Example from GitHub forum: https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/4108

Some DLL that is referenced by the EXE is not able to be accessed correctly by the "harvester". I suspect it is one of the system DLLs or a DLL referenced by the EXE build.

If you don't have any ideas or know of anything then don't put too much time in. It may also be because I have a fiull Visual Studio current build installed which is notorious for adding updates to the system that break things. I will try and run this on another system that is cleaner to see if it still happens. I'll let you know.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

No, as I said the Wix Error message is misleading. It has nothing to do with a dll. Wix looks at each exe and dll to determine if it is a self-registering dll. If the file is not present, it will display that error, rather than saying the file is not there.
Which build of SPS is that?
And can you attach or upload the pertinent files?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

I ran this on a second system. Both build 150. THe second system works fine.

I have had many issues with SPS on this system for some reason. After security updates and creators upgrades it always seems that I have to re-install SPS. I suspect that is what I will have to do again.

This system is loaded with all of my potable development tools. SQLServer 2017, VS2017, VS2012, VS2015, VS2016 and many others. The mix likely is too much for the MS patches. Maybe it's time to clean house.
This topic is 5 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.