[PSS 2018][Bug] Editor slowdown on CBH

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 6 years and 4 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Bosparan

[PSS 2018][Bug] Editor slowdown on CBH

Post by Bosparan »

PSS Version: 2018 5.5.149 x64
OS Version: Windows 10 x64 1709
WMF Version: 5.1

Impact: Medium

Symptoms:
When writing in long Comment Based Help sections, PowerShell Studio often starts slowing down to the point of utter uselessness. Only a restart of PSS will allow it to recover from that.

Reproducibility:
This is a tough one, since it doesn't always happen.
For an example on a lengthy CBH section where it definitely has happened to me before, see the dbatools module's Start-DbaMigration or Copy-DbaDatabase commands.

Notes:
  • So far I have only seen it happen with editing CBH
  • It tends to not happen right away after starting PSS
  • This problem has been around for a long time, but has been hard to pin down due to its difficulty to reproduce. It has become a lot more frequent with this release though.
mxtrinidad

Re: [PSS 2018][Bug] Editor slowdown on CBH

Post by mxtrinidad »

I don't know if you have tried using the "PowerShell HelpWriter" just to see if you get the same behavior. You can download the 45-days trial version and see if it helps.

We'll be looking into the issue you're experiencing with large CBH sections.
:)
Bosparan

Post by Bosparan »

Heya Max,

love the help writer (and I've got the full suite, being Fred from the SqlCollaborative slack channel ^^)
Problem is, I can't really use it for projects I share with the community (since many don't have it there).
Using it for internal stuff quite a bit and no, don't see slowdown happening there.

Cheers,
Fred
mxtrinidad

Post by mxtrinidad »

Hi Fred!

Thanks for chatting in SLACK SQLcommunity. I'll see if I can replicate the condition based on our discussion.
Cheers Back!
This topic is 6 years and 4 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.