Quest Active Roles PSSnapIn does not load

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 6 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Quest Active Roles PSSnapIn does not load

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Go here: C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN\PresetCache 2018\ModuleCacheV2
Locate the Quest files. There should be three (.alias, .syntax and .cmdlet)
Copy these three files here:
C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN\PresetCache 2018\ModuleCacheV5
now run the cache editor again
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
escott0699

Post by escott0699 »

Copied the files, and Quest now shows up in the cache editor to be selected. however after i click build cache, then refresh the cache it becomes deselected again.
Alexander Riedel

Well, yes, because it can't load that snapin. That is why I said to use the Cache Editor and use "Build Cache".
I didn't say to refresh the cache :D
Just build the cache version you need with the Cache Editor and that plugin and leave it alone while we look into it.
Alexander Riedel
escott0699

Post by escott0699 »

Sorry i guess i wasn't clear. I did click build cache, and it does not show up in the object browser. i only clicked refresh when i didn't see it in there after using build cache.
escott0699

Post by escott0699 »

i just re-ran through the steps on the cache editor and it i attempted to just use a quest cmdlet and they are now showing up correctly while typing, but interestingly enough the object browser shows it in modules now. no clue, but at least i have the intellisense available again. thanks for the help.
Alexander Riedel

I did some tests on this in the meantime. According to Microsoft all snapins should be able to load via import-module. Which is mostly true in our experience.
This snapin appears to be so old that it will not load using import-module

PS C:\Users\Alex> $module = import-module "Quest.ActiveRoles.ADManagement"
import-module : The specified module 'Quest.ActiveRoles.ADManagement' was not loaded because no valid module file was
found in any module directory.
At line:1 char:11
+ $module = import-module "Quest.ActiveRoles.ADManagement"
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (Quest.ActiveRoles.ADManagement:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFou
ndException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

I will see what can be done to compensate for this, but I would recommend finding an alternative for this snapin in the long run.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 6 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.