PowerShell Studio 2017 not allowing backtick character entry

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 6 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
danabrash

PowerShell Studio 2017 not allowing backtick character entry

Post by danabrash »

Hello,

I'm working in the editor and I'm unable to enter the backtick (`) character at all. This is new behavior and used to work fine, it just stopped working yesterday.

The editor does not respond in any way to the keystroke. The Console accepts it fine, as does Notepad, and PowerShell ISE, and any other place I can input text.

I have tried:
* restarting PowerShell Studio
* creating blank script files
* unloading my project, restarting the app and opening a blank file

These things have not resolved the problem. I have not rebooted the computer because it's a shared jump box so I don't want to disrupt others, and because I shouldn't have to.

I am able to copy and paste the character from elsewhere in the script where I previously entered it or from external sources where I can enter it. I do not see this behavior with any other character.

Please advise.

Best,
Dana

To help you better we need some information from you.

*** Please fill in the fields below. If you leave fields empty or specify 'latest' rather than the actual version your answer will be delayed as we will be forced to ask you for this information. ***

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio, 2017 5.4.145.0
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64
Operating system: Server 2016 Datacenter
32 or 64 bit OS: x64

*** Please add details and screenshots as needed below. ***

DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTIONS, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM
cody m

Re: PowerShell Studio 2017 not allowing backtick character entry

Post by cody m »

Did you make any changes to your system, or to PowerShell Studio, between when the back-tick was working and when you noticed that it wasn't? Also have you tried unplugging and then plugging your keyboard back in to your machine? If you have made no changes to your system between when the back-tick was working and when it stopped can you please upload a screen shot of your editor settings?
mxtrinidad

Post by mxtrinidad »

Yeap! No changes to the product and should work as expected. It has to be keyboard related, maybe low on battery can cause the keyboard to misbehave.
danabrash

Post by danabrash »

Hi!

Thanks for the response. This is a weird one for sure.

Regarding my laptop, the keyboard is wired, and the system I'm connecting to run PowerShell Studio is a VM. The backtick character works in every other text input scenario on the same system. Keyed input works 100% for every key in every application in every scenario except for this one key in PowerShell Studio. I did not make any changes to the system, but it is vaguely possible that someone else may have. I'm not sure how a single char could be related to any other changes. My thought was an ASCII conflict of some kind, but I assume PowerShell Studio isn't doing anything particular to parse keyboard input. It seems like you can just assume the system has functional drivers.

Here are my editor settings.
EditorSettings.png
EditorSettings.png (131.15 KiB) Viewed 3948 times
Please let me know if you have any ideas. I'll schedule a reboot to see if that improves anything.

Thanks for the help!

Dana
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

Correct, we are not processing the back-tick is any special way. Can you enter the back tick in a text field in any settings dialog? For example, open the packager settings (Ribbon->Deploy->Packager->Settings) and see if you can enter the back-tick in any of the fields.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
mxtrinidad

Post by mxtrinidad »

Also, could you provide a screen shot of the code in the PowerShell Studio Editor. I want to see what's showing in the Encoding field displayed in the bottom of the editor with the code.
danabrash

Post by danabrash »

Hello,

Thanks for your help. here's a screenshot.

The Deploy Packager is grey'd out for me, but I used the options dialog box, all no go. Console works, but that's just opening the Windows console anyway, no?

Here's the screenshot. it's UTF8. Switching to the other options also didn't work.
Capture.png
Capture.png (178.38 KiB) Viewed 3829 times
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

Do you have a NUM pad on your keyboard? What happens when you hold ALT and press 9 then 6 on the NUM Pad? Do you get a backtick?

Also, do you have a non-US keyboard or non-English language setting?
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
danabrash

Post by danabrash »

Hi David,

Thanks for the response. Alt+9 & +6 on the numPad gives me a backtick. That'll be a great help for now.

I have a US keyboard, and no IME installed.

What's weird is that it used to work fine with this exact setup.

Thanks for your help!
Dana
danabrash

Post by danabrash »

Howdy,

So I finally had a chance to restart the VM, and now the backtick works. I'm sorry I wasn't able to try that sooner.

Not sure why it wasn't working, but anyway the repro is gone. :)

thanks again for all your help!

Dana
This topic is 6 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.