Extended attributes are inconsistent

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 6 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
imsanda

Extended attributes are inconsistent

Post by imsanda »

To help you better we need some information from you.

*** Please fill in the fields below. If you leave fields empty or specify 'latest' rather than the actual version your answer will be delayed as we will be forced to ask you for this information. ***

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2017 v5.4.144 or later
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64-bit
Operating system: Windows 10 v1703
32 or 64 bit OS: 64-bit OS
*** Please add details and screenshots as needed below. ***

We use PowerShell Studio to generate executable files that we distribute to client machines using Ivanti's LANDesk Management Suite 2017.1.2 product.
When we build an executable using PowerShell Studio 5.4.144 or 5.4.145, the software distribution in the Ivanti console fails with error code 255 and the message is "Extended attributes are inconsistent." If we roll our PowerShell Studio 2017 installation back to version 5.4.143 and build an executable from the exact same script, we have no issues.
If we build the executable with any patch level of PowerShell Studio 2017, and we run the executable from Windows File Explorer or a command line, we have no errors.
Can you please investigate as to what might have changed in updates 5.4.144 or later with regards to this issue?

Thank you,

Kelly Davies
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Extended attributes are inconsistent

Post by Alexander Riedel »

There was no real change in the way executable packages are generated. As the executables run fine on from Windows Explorer or the command line, we can only assume that the files themselves are fine.
A quick check on "Extended attributes are inconsistent." shows that in most cases a corrupt file system is at play. I would recommend checking your file system at the target machine or contact Ivanti as to for what reason they generate that error message. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
imsanda

Post by imsanda »

I have run a system scan on one of our target machines. No issues were found with the file system.
However, the issue is somehow tied to something that changed between version 5.4.143 and 5.4.144. If we generate the executable package using 5.4.143 and distribute the package using LANDesk, there are no issues. However, as soon as we compile the same script using 5.4.144 or 5.4.145, and distribute the generated package, without changing anything else, the distribution fails. If we then again generate the package using 5.4.143, the distribution works again. While there may have been no specific changes to package generation in 5.4.144, perhaps a side effect or regression bug has surfaced?

If there is more information I can provide, please let me know.

Thanks,

Kelly Davies
Alexander Riedel

The only thing in regards to the packager that was changed from 144 to 145 is how the template engines are stored on your machine. This was necessary does to some overeager anti-virus software vendors detecting unsigned executable code. This has absolutely no effect on the packaged executables though.
As the packages generated with 145 run fine within Windows (File Explorer and Shell) we cannot really see that there would be anything wrong with them.
I went back and packaged some simple scripts and ran them on all OS versions we test with and they all run fine without fail and no matter what type of engine is used.
Try the following: Copy the 145 packaged file to a disk with a FAT file system (like a flash drive). That will get rid of all extended attributes on a file.
Then try to roll that out. If that works we can look further.
Alexander Riedel
imsanda

Post by imsanda »

I copied the file to a FAT32 USB key and then copied it back, and the package still fails as long as the package was created with 5.4.144 or later. I have no idea what is so miraculous about 5.4.143.

Kelly Davies
Alexander Riedel

I am sorry to say, but I think you need to contact the vendor of the software that reports that error. Only they would know why.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 6 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.