WebBrowser Navigating Event stops working with KB4040685 (Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: Oct 2017)

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 6 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
mark106
Has voted: 1 time

WebBrowser Navigating Event stops working with KB4040685 (Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: Oct 2017)

Post by mark106 »

Hi,

PowerShell Studio 5.4.145 - 64 bit
WIndows 7 64 bit OS:

I had created a PowerShell (Studio) .exe which uses the WebBrowser control and its navigating event to examine/parse the contents of the html document.

This had been working fine until the October Security Update for IE was applied. Following some investigation, it seems that the webBrowser's event no longer actions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... t-explorer

Any suggestions on where I should look next to fix/workaround this problem would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: WebBrowser Navigating Event stops working with KB4040685 (Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: Oct 2017

Post by davidc »

We just ran a few tests and the events fired. Please verify in the designer that the event is still bound to the control.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
mark106
Has voted: 1 time

Re: WebBrowser Navigating Event stops working with KB4040685 (Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: Oct 2017

Post by mark106 »

Thanks for your reply.

The updates are delivered via SCCM in a corporate environment. I manually removed KB4040685 and this got things working again. Some other updates later installed and this also broke the WebBrowser in the same way!

Like you, I tried KB4040685 on a "vanilla" Windows 7 machine (i.e. non-corporate build) and it didn't break it.

So, I'm not sure what the source of the problem actually is - update? rolled-up update? policy? ???

The problem seems to do two things. It affects the contents of the InnerText property (and maybe others) - which caused problems trying to parse the particular Intranet site that we are working with - but more significantly, I no longer seem able to store WebBrower objects into PowerShell variables. No errors or warnings but the objects just don't copy. I can, however, copy them to graphical elements such as textboxes (and from there into a variable if required).

I've got my PowerShell Studio .exe working again by changing how it parses the webpage and then storing the results in textboxes (rather than directly to PowerShell variables).

The .exe's working again, so that good, but if I can shed any more light on the issue I'll update this post.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

You could possibly have a scoping issue if the variables come up null. Also check that the packaged executable has the STA option checked. That could potentially affect the WebBrowser control.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 6 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.