Powershell Studio hanging/freezing with unreachable network locations

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 6 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
FlightUK

Powershell Studio hanging/freezing with unreachable network locations

Post by FlightUK »

Product, version and build: Powershell Studio - 1.0.21
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64 bit
Operating system: Win10 Pro
32 or 64 bit OS: 64 bit

Hi all,

Recently some network changes where I work have made it so that a server I reference "\\ServerName\c$\Whatever.txt" is no longer accessible from the machine I script with, this isn't a problem as I just compile to an executable and run it on the target machine, however when working on the script I get hangs/freezes for 5-10 seconds at a time every minute or so at random. I figured this was referencing the network locations in the script, timing out and then letting me resume writing, I confirmed this by commenting out of all of the network locations, and now I have no issues, but I can't comment and un-comment 50-100 lines of script every time I need to run/test/modify the form/script.

My questions are:
Why does the script writing component of the application attempt to connect with these locations/read them without me running or saving the script?
How can I work around this? I can't be the first person that's writing scripts designed not to be run on the machine you're writing on.

Many thanks,
Miles
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Powershell Studio hanging/freezing with unreachable network locations

Post by davidc »

Can you verify PowerShell Studio's build again? The current build is 5.4.141 and you reported 1.0.21.

If you dot source any file, PowerShell Studio will attempt to read it for PrimalSense purposes. I recommend disabling Options->General->Enable remote file status check option.
Enable Remote File Status Check.png
Enable Remote File Status Check.png (36.02 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
You can also disable Options->PrimalSense->Enable dot sourcing PrimalSense:
Enable dot sourcing PrimalSense.png
Enable dot sourcing PrimalSense.png (25.75 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
Please let us know if this helps. We will also check if we can improve the process so it doesn’t trigger a delay every time.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
FlightUK

Post by FlightUK »

Hi David,

Apologies, you're quite right, that was not my build number. I think that's the build number of the the updater tool itself which fooled me. I've checked in Add/Remove programs and it states 5.4.141 which is evidently the one :)

I've just tried the two options you mentioned, the PrimalSense "dot sourcing" had no impact but the minute I disabled "remote file status check" the problem appears to have stopped, so I think you're on the money there.

I really appreciate your help on this one, I'll see how I get on from here.

Many thanks,
Miles
davidc

Post by davidc »

We made some changes in the upcoming service release to hopefully will help mitigate this issue when the remote file check is enabled.
David
davidc

Post by davidc »

Please try the latest service release (v5.4.142) and let us know if it improves your situation when you have the remote file status check enabled.
David
FlightUK

Post by FlightUK »

Hmm, apologies for the misinformation earlier. I've not used PS Studio extensively for a few days as I've been really busy at work. I've just gone to make some more major revisions to my application and even with both of the available options disabled, I'm still noticing slowdowns/freezes. When I comment out the "\\server-name..." on any line with network references, it goes back to working fine.

I have downloaded the latest version as per your latest update, and recreated the issue in this also. I'll continue to use it today and let you know if I see any improvement though.

Cheers,
Miles
davidc

Post by davidc »

For clarification, the issue does go away if you have the Enable Remote file status check option disabled?

If you are able, please zip and upload the project here:

https://www.sapien.com/support/upload

This way we can attempt recreate the issue on our end.
David
FlightUK

Post by FlightUK »

Hi David,

No, even with both of the two aforementioned options UNticked (turned off), I still run into this issue right up until I comment out any unreachable network locations, and then it's back to it's usual self.

I'll upload the project for you to take a look at the source.

Cheers,
Miles
FlightUK

Post by FlightUK »

Hello again!

I've attempted to upload the file but I'm told it's too large. It's around 2.7mb when zipped.

Cheers,
Miles
davidc

Post by davidc »

Did you get the error on the forum or using the upload page?

https://www.sapien.com/support/upload
David
This topic is 6 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.