UI Scaling Issues on Microsoft Surface Book

Support for all customers who have purchased a SAPIEN PowerShell Studio product license. This forum does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
User avatar
afiore
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40 pm

UI Scaling Issues on Microsoft Surface Book

Post by afiore » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:02 am

When I open PowerShell Studio 2017 on my Microsoft Surface Book display, all of the menus and toolbars are displayed in an extremely small font. Conversely, when I am plugged into my Surface doc and using external monitors, the application displays with huge fonts. The display scaling within Windows is set to 100% for the Surface display and 200% for the external monitors. I do not have this issue with any other application. Additional system specs are below.

Microsoft Surface Book
Windows 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
PowerShell Studio 2017 Version: 5.4.141.0

Thanks for the help.

User avatar
Alexander Riedel
Posts: 6221
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 4:43 pm

Re: UI Scaling Issues on Microsoft Surface Book

Post by Alexander Riedel » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 am

Please specify the exact version and hardware/model of your surface book and its OS.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.

User avatar
afiore
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Re: UI Scaling Issues on Microsoft Surface Book

Post by afiore » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:49 am

Alexander Riedel wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 am
Please specify the exact version and hardware/model of your surface book and its OS.
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
Version: 10.0.14393 Build 14393
System Model: Surface Book
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2808 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: Microsoft Corporation 90.1380.768, 11/4/2016
Embedded Controller Version: 255.255
Hardware Abstraction Layer: Version = "10.0.14393.206"

User avatar
afiore
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Re: UI Scaling Issues on Microsoft Surface Book

Post by afiore » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:38 pm

afiore wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:49 am
Alexander Riedel wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 am
Please specify the exact version and hardware/model of your surface book and its OS.
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
Version: 10.0.14393 Build 14393
System Model: Surface Book
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2808 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: Microsoft Corporation 90.1380.768, 11/4/2016
Embedded Controller Version: 255.255
Hardware Abstraction Layer: Version = "10.0.14393.206"
Any update on this?

User avatar
Alexander Riedel
Posts: 6221
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 4:43 pm

Re: UI Scaling Issues on Microsoft Surface Book

Post by Alexander Riedel » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:55 pm

We ordered a surface for testing. The current theory is that there is a hiccup in the display drivers for these laptops when you have two or more monitors with different scaling factors.
It is also possible that this is a multi-monitor .NET framework issue with the current framework used. So all in all, we need to replicate this and see what we can do.
It will take a few days, sorry. Feel free to query back on occasion if you don't hear anything.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.

User avatar
afiore
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Re: UI Scaling Issues on Microsoft Surface Book

Post by afiore » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:45 am

Alexander Riedel wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:55 pm
We ordered a surface for testing. The current theory is that there is a hiccup in the display drivers for these laptops when you have two or more monitors with different scaling factors.
It is also possible that this is a multi-monitor .NET framework issue with the current framework used. So all in all, we need to replicate this and see what we can do.
It will take a few days, sorry. Feel free to query back on occasion if you don't hear anything.
Appreciate the update and you taking the time to look into it.

User avatar
davidc
Posts: 4883
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:56 am

Re: UI Scaling Issues on Microsoft Surface Book

Post by davidc » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:25 pm

I ran a few tests on the Surface and I have not encountered any scaling issues. What resolution do you have on your external monitors?

Note: Setting the font scale to 100% will make the text very small on these high-resolution screens. I recommend using Windows 10's recommended setting (which is 200% on our testing Surface).
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.

User avatar
afiore
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Re: UI Scaling Issues on Microsoft Surface Book

Post by afiore » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:53 am

David,

Thanks for the reply. My current settings are as follows:

Surface screen is set to: 3000x2000 (Recommended) with scaling set to 200% (Recommended)
External Monitors (x2) are set to: 1680x1050 (Recommended) with scaling set to 100% (Recommended)

As noted, these are the recommended settings according to Windows with this particular configuration. Because I am using both the Surface screen, as well as external monitors, using any other combination of scaling doesn’t work.

Thanks, Adam

User avatar
davidc
Posts: 4883
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:56 am

Re: UI Scaling Issues on Microsoft Surface Book

Post by davidc » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Thank you for the information and I will post an update if I'm able to reproduce it.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.